Author Topic: So when did you see them for the first time?  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Carolyn

Re: So when did you see them for the first time?
« Reply #15 on: Monday, March 17 2014 09:09AM GMT-1 »
I can't exactly remember either.  I saw them as part of Eliza's Ratcatchers before they were the Ratcatchers, I think, so that would have been at the Zodiac in Oxford shortly after Martin Carthy's 60th birthday do at the Oxford Apollo.  As a duo it would have been fairly near the beginning of their existence  :).  They played at Banbury folk club fairly early on too, and I know several of you came to that, but I can't remember how long ago that was...

Found the Banbury one - it was in September 2004, so not as early as I'd thought, but I'd been nagging Derek and Mary to have them for ages.  I'd seen them at Oxford, Cheltenham and Chipping Norton folk festivals by then, as well as a gig at the Museum of Modern Art, Oxford.  Scrolling through their gig list, they were sooo busy, weren't they?  No wonder they know what they're doing now.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 17 2014 11:50AM GMT-1 by Carolyn »

Offline Milady

• Has a Concertina, Melodeon and Fiddle
    • ladydetemps youtube
« Reply #16 on: Monday, March 17 2014 09:44AM GMT-1 »
Now there's a tricky question. I've seen the duo more than bellowhead. I think it might have been at cecil sharp house. Then after that a few festivals.
"Lovely band...they play music and everything..."
My Blog http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Stephenw

« Reply #17 on: Monday, March 17 2014 01:14PM GMT-1 »
I saw J&J after I saw Bellowhead when they first played at Sale. I think it was at Northwich folk club. I had to leave at 10.30pm to get the last train home. It was my first visit to a folk club. I didn't realise I'd have to sit through so many support slots!
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it." But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.

Offline Nick

• Talkawhile
« Reply #18 on: Monday, March 17 2014 02:20PM GMT-1 »
I don't know  :-[

I remember several quite early gigs, but don't know what order they came in.

I definitely knew who they were before the first Oxford Folk Festival in spring 2004 - in the run-up to that Bellowhead were billed as "The Spiers and Boden Big Band".

I remember a gig at the Cellar in Oxford in late 2003, and I remember buying Bellow in the interval before they played, so I must have at least known who they were before that. I also remember being worried about Jon using a stompbox on stage... If you know the Cellar you'll know why - when Jaune Toujours played there, the double-bassist managed to wedge his instrument between floor and ceiling!

I also remember around this time seeing Eliza & Co at the Zodiac on two separate occasions a year or two apart and I think J&J played at both. They were definitely at the second of those gigs and I'm certain that I'd already seen them by then and knew who they were. I remember they were out selling merchandise with Eliza in the interval (I bought Through and Through from Eliza - I felt a bit embarrased about that but I already had everything of hers she had for sale), then they went off and played a short set straight after while Eliza got a broom out and swept up all the discarded CD wrappers!

I'm pretty sure they played at the first of her Zodiac gigs too - I recall Eliza stepping to the side and letting a couple of the band play some of their own songs mid-way through the set. So I'm going to go with that: J&J as part of Eliza's band, at the Zodiac around about 2002.

(I am at least a bit clearer about the first time I saw Eliza in her own right. Glastonbury 1998, in the New Bands Tent. I had just left a tropical island (Kaua'i) the week before and had literally travelled half way round the world to camp there in the pouring rain and mud... That said, didn't she play Cropredy years before that?! I would have seen her at Cropredy for sure! Dammit my memory  >:( )

Cheers

Nick
The collective noun for a group of hermits? ... a failure

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #19 on: Monday, March 17 2014 02:52PM GMT-1 »

I also remember around this time seeing Eliza & Co at the Zodiac on two separate occasions a year or two apart and I think J&J played at both. They were definitely at the second of those gigs and I'm certain that I'd already seen them by then and knew who they were. I remember they were out selling merchandise with Eliza in the interval (I bought Through and Through from Eliza - I felt a bit embarrased about that but I already had everything of hers she had for sale), then they went off and played a short set straight after while Eliza got a broom out and swept up all the discarded CD wrappers!

I'm pretty sure they played at the first of her Zodiac gigs too - I recall Eliza stepping to the side and letting a couple of the band play some of their own songs mid-way through the set. So I'm going to go with that: J&J as part of Eliza's band, at the Zodiac around about 2002.

That's how long I've known you and Fi for then, Nick.  I was behind you in the queue and asked if you were on TAW, I think.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #20 on: Monday, March 17 2014 05:53PM GMT-1 »
Gosh, I'm not sure I can remember, and it wasn't even that long ago. I do know that Betty Slippers and I failed to stay to see them play a late night set at Sheffield Folk Festival in, errr, I suppose it must've been 2005 or 6 (can you remember, Liz?). I'm embarrassed to admit that it was my first ever folk festival, and I was sort of going by the pictures and program to decide what to see. What an error. Then we discovered Bellowhead, so I guess we must've seen them in late 2007 or early 2008, probably at Nettlebed.

This is starting to make me feel old now, so I'll stop this remembering malarkey and start thinking about the future!
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Online Betty slippers

• Dance, dance, dance, weird, weird, weird, dance
« Reply #21 on: Monday, March 17 2014 06:19PM GMT-1 »
I *think* Sheffield was 2006, and Bellowhead was Cambridge 2007, so probably Autumn 2007 and yes, likely to be Nettlebed at that point (ie before we would travel stupid distances!)
If it hadn'a been for Flash Company...

Offline Nick

• Talkawhile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, March 20 2014 12:11AM GMT-1 »

That's how long I've known you and Fi for then, Nick.  I was behind you in the queue and asked if you were on TAW, I think.

Fi and I weren't quite together at the time of those Eliza gigs, though I do well remember meeting you at the Zodiac at a Seth Lakeman gig (supported by Ralfe Band!) around that time Carolyn.

The collective noun for a group of hermits? ... a failure

Offline Clare

« Reply #23 on: Thursday, March 20 2014 06:56AM GMT-1 »
(ie before we would travel stupid distances!)
Hard to remember that there was once such a time  :)

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, March 20 2014 02:41PM GMT-1 »

Fi and I weren't quite together at the time of those Eliza gigs, though I do well remember meeting you at the Zodiac at a Seth Lakeman gig (supported by Ralfe Band!) around that time Carolyn.

Ah that was it.  I think you and I/us had been to see S&B there a couple of weeks earlier so my detective powers had come into play, and I'd linked you up with posts on Eliza's forum, or possibly TAW.  Can't remember, but there we are.  Hoorah for the Zodiac.  And Seth was still at the stage where he could come out and chat after a gig and not risk getting ripped to shreds by screaming girlies.

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
« Reply #25 on: Monday, April 21 2014 01:23PM GMT-1 »
That Eliza gig at the Zodiac in 2002 (Anglicana tour) was when I first saw them. I think I bought the first melodeon the same week, and a nice chap you all know offered lessons :-)
We can't go over it, we can't go under it....

Offline Sarah

• Avid Fan
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, May 3 2016 10:57PM GMT-1 »
2004 Brampton Live for the second Bellowhead outing. Then of course i found out they were a duo as well and went to see them at Ulverston Folk club November 4th 2005 over a year later! But that was the start of the insane following and touring which i'd never done with any musical act before and the rest is history, i just wish i had known about them sooner. But i guess 38 times wasn't all that bad eh?
Up to the rigs.

Offline Squeezy

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • melodeon & concertina
    • Spiers & Boden main site
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, May 4 2016 12:25AM GMT-1 »
That Eliza gig at the Zodiac in 2002 (Anglicana tour) was when I first saw them. I think I bought the first melodeon the same week, and a nice chap you all know offered lessons :-)

Of course if anyone was watching Eliza downstairs at the zodiac in 1999 with the red rice band I also supported that one solo and acoustically having been plucked off the streets while busking! Little did I know that I'd end up in the band.

Offline Barbara

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, May 4 2016 10:09AM GMT-1 »
I loved the Ratcatchers, maybe......
'Tis a rather nice addiction