Author Topic: RADIO 3 - THE ESSAY - MONDAY 28th MARCH 2011 AT 23.00  (Read 7530 times)

Offline Two Fivers

RADIO 3 - THE ESSAY - MONDAY 28th MARCH 2011 AT 23.00
« on: Sunday, March 27 2011 10:37AM GMT-1 »
UNDER THE INFLUENCE

This week ‘Under the Influence’ returns, with essays by five leading artists, each working in a different medium, about their relationship with the work of another, an artistic movement, or even an idea.
First is Jon Boden*, the singer and fiddle player with folk big band Bellowhead, who reveals how post-apocalyptic literature has convinced him of the importance of traditional song.

And he pays homage to Peter Bellamy whose singing techniques and melodic and editorial approaches to traditional song inform much of his work with experimental big-band Bellowhead, and his current attempt to record a different folk song every day for a year and put it on the internet

Offline Two Fivers

Offline maureen

Re: RADIO 3 - THE ESSAY - MONDAY 28th MARCH 2011 AT 23.00
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 27 2011 11:23AM GMT-1 »
Thanks Mark - will listen to that.
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 27 2011 12:16PM GMT-1 »
I must remember to listen to Radio 3 more often - they have a lot of good stuff on, and I miss most of it.  Thanks for the tip-off Mark!
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Anna

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 27 2011 12:22PM GMT-1 »
That looks really interesting. Thanks Mark  :)
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 28 2011 02:25AM GMT-1 »
Thanks for the heads-up Mark.  :)
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Offline Shelley

14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 29 2011 08:28AM GMT-1 »
I must remember to listen to Radio 3 more often - they have a lot of good stuff on, and I miss most of it.  Thanks for the tip-off Mark!

I am increasingly finding it a refuge from Radio 4. This morning the dreadful words 'In a moment we'll be speaking to the justice secretary Ken Clark' caused me to switch stations and have a rather strange experience. I came in halfway through a song and spent a good minute thinking how familiar yet unfamiliar this song sounded...turned out to be the Vaughan Williams setting of 'Cold Blows the Wind', or as VW called it - 'The Wind Doth Blow Cold'  :D.

They have really good programmes, especially The Early Music show, if you like a crumhorn, etc  ;). I do try to avoid the wierd 'plinky plonky' end of things though...and the jazz.
We can't go over it, we can't go under it....

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 29 2011 10:04AM GMT-1 »
I am increasingly finding it a refuge from Radio 4.

Know the feeling - I can't go home and turn the radio on at lunchtimes any more, because there's invariably something every 5 minutes or so that makes me really angry  :(

Are things on iplayer for a week? Will have to try and catch it later.
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Nick

• Talkawhile
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 29 2011 10:07AM GMT-1 »
It's up on Listen Again...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00zt60v/The_Essay_Under_the_Influence_Under_the_Influence_Jon_Boden/

Jon has a very sing-song voice when he reads a prepared script, and he covers some very interesting ground.

Cheers

Nick
The collective noun for a group of hermits? ... a failure

Offline maureen

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, March 29 2011 10:50AM GMT-1 »
That was very interesting as expected (thanks Jon!)

I did find it funny that as Jon was denouncing the evils of Facebook, Fay was using Facebook to encourage people to listen to the programme!
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline Ollie

• I Morris, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, March 29 2011 07:26PM GMT-1 »
Excellent! This has given me several ideas for my Extended Project next year.
"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."

Offline Shelley

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, March 29 2011 07:43PM GMT-1 »
A lot to take in there - I think I'll have to listen to it several times!

Offline LegalLorna

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, March 29 2011 07:44PM GMT-1 »
Just listened again - found it a really nostalgic piece for me - my own particular/peculiar odd literary "fetish" has always been post-apocolyptic literature and hearing Jon (who is really far too young to know some of these books!!!) talking about them has just made me want to go back and read them all again!  I spend a lot of time in old book shops and on line looking for 1st editions of old books that I used to borrow from the library as a kid (like the Changes trilogy or the wonderful Mercy Men by Alan E Nourse -Jon if you haven't tried that one I managed to get a copy - you'd love it!) - so not only has the wonderful world of folk music got me more excited about music than I have been for 10 years or more actively engaged with politics than I have been since my 20's but now it's gone and got me wanting to read all those wonderful books again - and having struggled massively with Cormac McCarthy's All The Pretty Horses for a long time, a friend read The Road a couple of months ago and gave it to me saying you'd love it - so now I am just going to have to read it!  THANKS!!!!  :D

Offline LegalLorna

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, March 29 2011 07:49PM GMT-1 »
would help if I could spell.... post apocalyptic that would be..... been a long day.... back in the UK again at least.... ???