Author Topic: RADIO 3 - THE ESSAY - MONDAY 28th MARCH 2011 AT 23.00  (Read 7529 times)

Offline Oxford Trunkles

• Master of Epic Folly
Re: RADIO 3 - THE ESSAY - MONDAY 28th MARCH 2011 AT 23.00
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, March 30 2011 07:45AM GMT-1 »
a friend read The Road a couple of months ago and gave it to me saying you'd love it - so now I am just going to have to read it!  THANKS!!!!  :D

I've read The Road and it is brilliant but, in a way, a shocking read. Well worth a look but do be aware that it does draw you in, I end up reading it in a single morning and I almost never do that!

Offline Anna

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, March 30 2011 12:35PM GMT-1 »
I really like Cormac McCarthy's style. All the Pretty Horses was a compelling read, despite none of the characters being particularly likeable, and some of the situations uncomfortable. I've been meaning to read The Road for ages, so maybe this will be the shove I need! I now have a lovely list to take to the library bus!
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, April 3 2011 12:46PM GMT-1 »
I finally got around to listening to this today. Very interesting! I am now curious to dip my toe into the world of post apocalyptic fiction.  ::)
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Offline Ancient Muse

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, April 3 2011 03:18PM GMT-1 »
Me too, Shirl - now where to start??

Offline mab

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, April 3 2011 09:41PM GMT-1 »
Finally got round to listening to this and I thought, 'By heck, he likes his significant pauses doesn't he!'...and then I realised the i-player was on the blink :-[
Anyhow, got it sorted and was overjoyed that someone else remembers The Tripods and not just the books but the TV series too! It one of those shows that I remember vividly but everyone else always looks blank when I talk about them so they get filed into the pile of 'possibly imagined' (also included until recently, 'Dick Turpin' and 'The Adventure Game' (Trust me, you have not seen blank looks until you've seen the face of someone who's obviously never even heard of The Adventure Game when you try and explain what it's about. I learnt early to stop before you try to tell them about Uncle who's an aspidistra...) and it's always such a relief to find other people know them too. Intraweb was a huge step forward for me sorting my childhood memories out!)
The Campaign for Wheelchair Access (One of the Daleks' subltler invasion plans...)

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, April 3 2011 10:11PM GMT-1 »
You need to meet my son Daniel Mab!
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline LegalLorna

« Reply #21 on: Monday, April 4 2011 01:40PM GMT-1 »
Ooh I loved The Adventure Game..... :aemo_spibodjmp:

Offline owl at home

« Reply #22 on: Monday, April 4 2011 01:41PM GMT-1 »
I remember The Tripods on TV as well! Hearing the theme tune to it still sends a chill up my spine. There are frequent rumours of a movie version but nothing has emerged yet.

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, April 5 2011 08:41AM GMT-1 »
Finally got round to listening to this and I thought, 'By heck, he likes his significant pauses doesn't he!'...and then I realised the i-player was on the blink :-[
Anyhow, got it sorted and was overjoyed that someone else remembers The Tripods and not just the books but the TV series too! It one of those shows that I remember vividly but everyone else always looks blank when I talk about them so they get filed into the pile of 'possibly imagined' (also included until recently, 'Dick Turpin' and 'The Adventure Game' (Trust me, you have not seen blank looks until you've seen the face of someone who's obviously never even heard of The Adventure Game when you try and explain what it's about. I learnt early to stop before you try to tell them about Uncle who's an aspidistra...) and it's always such a relief to find other people know them too. Intraweb was a huge step forward for me sorting my childhood memories out!)

I have been astonished that people hadn't heard of 'The Changes', and recently someone had *no idea* what I was on about when I mentioned a recent knitting disaster looked like the knitting of the witch in the churchyard in Lizzie Dripping...but now I am going off topic... ;)
We can't go over it, we can't go under it....