Author Topic: Band in residence  (Read 5784 times)

Offline firehazard

• All in his tarry trews
Band in residence
« on: Tuesday, February 26 2008 09:08AM GMT-1 »
Just wondering: Are there are any further plans for Bellowhead activities as "band in residence" at the RFH this year?

Offline Oxford Trunkles

• Master of Epic Folly
Re: Band in residence
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 26 2008 07:30PM GMT-1 »
Just wondering: Are there are any further plans for Bellowhead activities as "band in residence" at the RFH this year?

Oh... Good Question.
I think its high time for another trip to London
Trunkles

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 26 2008 08:28PM GMT-1 »
Too right - I've been keeping an eye of the SBC website, but it's a bit, well, not very good :) Figured we'd hear about stuff here sooner or later...
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline firehazard

• All in his tarry trews
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 27 2008 09:25AM GMT-1 »
Too right - I've been keeping an eye of the SBC website, but it's a bit, well, not very good...

A kind and polite description of that particular website, firebird82.  ;)
And it's probably the last place we'll get to hear any news, I'd guess...

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 28 2008 05:08PM GMT-1 »
Ha, well I'm sorry to say that most of the words that came to mind weren't exactly polite :D

Offline pete flood

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 4 2008 02:38PM GMT-1 »
Sorry folks for the late reply on this - actually we're waiting for clarification from the sbc ourselves. There are a few things in the pipeline, but no new dates. Hopefully we'll have more news for you really soon.....

Offline Betty slippers

• Dance, dance, dance, weird, weird, weird, dance
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 4 2008 11:38PM GMT-1 »
Thanks Pete! Can't wait for more London gallivanting!  :laugh:
If it hadn'a been for Flash Company...

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 8 2008 09:39AM GMT-1 »
London gallivanting - I love it. Any news yet?

The year will be up soon!!!

I still have fond memories of the RFH launch last July? what a great day that was.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, May 3 2008 10:20PM GMT-1 »
I'm so gutted I didn't know about Bellowhead then - from what I've heard it sounded like a wonderful day! STILL nothing on the SBC website :(

Offline pete flood

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, June 7 2008 10:04AM GMT-1 »
Sorry - I meant to give you an update ages ago but it slipped my mind. One of the sticking points has been the funding issue, but that was resolved back in April with some outside funding. One of the exciting things about the whole project is its open-endedness - there is no definite start date, and no definite end date, but it's pretty unlikely that we'll be doing anything major before October/November. Jude's vision for the future of the sbc, and in particular the role of Artists in Residence in helping to realise that vision, is both mind-boggling and inspiring. I'd need a bigger brain and heaps of time and space to even begin to outline it but, one of the wonderful things is that the intention is that our relationship with them is a permanent thing, so that even when our residency comes to an end, we may well be returning there for the odd project.   

As for what we do do when the doing starts - the only certain thing is that it won't be a series of straight Bellowhead gigs. There has been talk about road trips, folk operas and mini festivals of bawdy songs (Bellowhead's Dirty Weekend being the working title for that one). Our connection to social music-making is one of the things that drew them to us, so I think that's an avenue we all want to explore, but we don't yet know whether that means inaugurating a session once a month on the ballroom floor, starting a choir or what.

So the plan till September is for us to come to the sbc for a few days in groups of two and three, meet staff and other Artists in Res, maybe collaborate on mini projects - who knows. After that it'll be time to get to work!

Sorry if this is a bit vague, and if the whole situation's dragging on a bit. A place of the size and history of the sbc takes a while to get to know - and it is important that we know it in order to produce work that bears some relation to the place and its ethos. It'll be worth it in the end - I'm more excited about the whole thing now than I ever have been before, and that's saying a lot!

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, June 7 2008 10:28AM GMT-1 »
Thanks Pete, that all sounds very exciting indeed!

Bellowhead's Dirty Weekend - LOL!

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated - I'm sure we are all looking forward to more details, as and when.

Cheers! ;D
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 7 2008 01:33PM GMT-1 »
Sorry if this is a bit vague, and if the whole situation's dragging on a bit. A place of the size and history of the sbc takes a while to get to know - and it is important that we know it in order to produce work that bears some relation to the place and its ethos. It'll be worth it in the end - I'm more excited about the whole thing now than I ever have been before, and that's saying a lot!

It sounds exactly what an artisic collaborations should be, instead of just a series of concerts where folk pay to go and listen, there's a real effort being made to put together something connected to where the band are coming from, to fit it to the venue and to fit it to an audience who will also want to participate themselves.

Jude Kelly is doing great stuff at the SBC - I remember when it was a pretty depressing concrete lump which had concerts going on, not a place I'd have wanted to spend any time in - but now we tend to make a bee line for it when we're in London. It's really exciting Bellowhead are involved in it's reinvention! (I would say though SBC do need to sort their impenetrable website out... ;) )
We can't go over it, we can't go under it....