Author Topic: A Folk Song A Day: Midsummer Concert 23rd June 2011  (Read 14825 times)

Offline brianleach

Re: A Folk Song A Day: Midsummer Concert 23rd June 2011
« Reply #45 on: Friday, June 24 2011 12:44PM GMT-1 »
Good to see many of you there yesterday.

You were very well behaved mab, I was expecting you to come sliding under the chair like the table at the last do but you were very restrained.

Enjoyed Hammersmith but if I had one small criticism I think an introduction to each dance would be helpful. Although a comparative new boy to Morris I couldn't recognise a number of the dances so I expect there were others in the same boat. As I said to mab I am envious of their ability to put out 12 youngish dancers. We are lucky to have 8 and they are not all that young!! Due to my bunk bed escapades I haven't danced since early May so felt keen to join in but resisted.

How you folk sit in the front rows defeats me. I was concerned at being sat in front of the admittedly not very large speakers. Sadly my fears were confirmed. By the second half I was suffering and had to cover my ears so didn't enjoy that much. I had to get a train so couldn't attend the singing afterwards but would not have been able to join in anyway as my ears and head were ringing so couldn't hear or pitch a note. I am still feeling the effects now so was unable to listen to anything on the train home other than the drunks and/or yobs.

I'm afraid next time I shall appear unsociable by sitting at the back!!

Obviously the volume levels are necessary so that people at the back can hear but to me it is physically painful. I am just a softie obviously.

Anyway apart from that it was a great evening and I particularly liked Fay's sets but then I really like what she Sam and Rob do.

Offline crossstitchgill

« Reply #46 on: Friday, June 24 2011 01:03PM GMT-1 »
We had a great evening as well. Jon sang 2 of my favourites from Floodplain - Dancing in the Factory and Beating the Bounds.
Carolyn, we enjoyed your company in Pizza Express.
Hammersmith Morris are always impressive and lucky that they get so many young men.
We didn't stay for the singing as we were concerned about missing the last train because we had to make 2 changes. In fact, we did really well, not having to wait for the 2 underground and 1 overground train and it only took us about an hour to get home. Looking forward to seeing Fay (and Dawn and David) again in St Albans on Saturday.

Offline crossstitchgill

« Reply #47 on: Friday, June 24 2011 01:38PM GMT-1 »
Some friends of ours were sitting in the middle of the middle and were very put off by the behaviour of the couple sitting in front of them. They kept kissing!

Offline owl at home

« Reply #48 on: Friday, June 24 2011 10:24PM GMT-1 »
That was very much a fun evening. I never knew of the existence of the Cecil Sharp House Community Choir before and now I want to join them! And I enjoyed the singing in the bar afterwards. I left at 11. Did it go on much longer?

Offline LegalLorna

« Reply #49 on: Friday, June 24 2011 10:32PM GMT-1 »
Thank you all for the reports - I'm still very upset but look slightly less like a deranged zombie ( than normal! - before you start Mab!) now and am about to collapse into bed at Gatwick before arising at the undead hour of three am for my flight to the mythical island home of Odysseus.  Pictures to entertain (but not of my red nose) will follow on FB. 

Offline mab

« Reply #50 on: Friday, June 24 2011 10:58PM GMT-1 »
Thank you all for the reports - I'm still very upset but look slightly less like a deranged zombie ( than normal! - before you start Mab!) now and am about to collapse into bed at Gatwick before arising at the undead hour of three am for my flight to the mythical island home of Odysseus.  Pictures to entertain (but not of my red nose) will follow on FB. 

Compare you to a deranged zombie? Honestly, woman! What do you think I am?

(Nicknaming you 'Rudolph' is far easier...) ;)
The Campaign for Wheelchair Access (One of the Daleks' subltler invasion plans...)

Offline maureen

« Reply #51 on: Friday, June 24 2011 11:04PM GMT-1 »
It was a fabulous night. The singing was still going on at 11.45 when I left, although Jon and Fay had gone to pack the car before then. The highlight of the sing-a-round for me was to be standing in between Jon and Fay as they sang Sea Coal - that's what I call stereo!

I'm in the process of uploading 10 videos to Facebook.
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #52 on: Friday, June 24 2011 11:46PM GMT-1 »
you must have a very good train service home

Offline maureen

« Reply #53 on: Friday, June 24 2011 11:56PM GMT-1 »
I didn't go home! ;)
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"