Author Topic: Sad things  (Read 38534 times)

Offline Carolyn

Sad things
« on: Monday, July 25 2011 08:18AM GMT-1 »
As nobody seems to have mentioned this, I thought I'd start a new thread for things that need more than an "annoying" category. 

Amy Winehouse.  I doubt anybody was shocked by her death, as it was almost a surprise she lasted as long as she did, but I think it's incredibly sad and wasteful of a life.  I didn't particularly like her singing or her style of music, but her words were often beautiful and so often autobiographical.  She wore her heart on her sleeve.  And she came from near where I'm from

She was the butt of too many jokes, and I'm really sorry she's dead too soon.

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
Re: Sad things
« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 25 2011 08:33AM GMT-1 »
You're right Carolyn - "Annoying Things" just wasn't the right place to put this.  Such a waste of a talent.
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Anna

« Reply #2 on: Monday, July 25 2011 11:39AM GMT-1 »
Yes, you're right. I don't particularly like her music either, but she had an undeniable talent. It's always sad when someone dies young. I have always felt for her family, who have had to watch her slowly and publicly commit suicide for years.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline noisynell

« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 25 2011 11:44AM GMT-1 »
Quite- regardless of her habits, her associates or anything its a waste of such a young vibrant person with so much to give. To have to mourn in the public eye must be awful too. :(

Offline Stephenw

« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 25 2011 03:38PM GMT-1 »
It's very sad. She had a great voice.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it." But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.

Offline louisec

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 26 2011 01:18PM GMT-1 »
I do think its a shame there was a picture of her in2004 and she looked really healthy and happy dont knowwhat happened to her since then

Offline cazzer

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, July 26 2011 04:30PM GMT-1 »
I loved her music.  We went to see her once.   It was probably 2009?      She was either dreadful or brilliant.      She would click into a song and be wonderful and then out of it, and be a mumbling mess.    She stumbled off stage a few times.      It was an embarassment.      Never wanted to see her again, for her sake it was so painful to watch.   Terribly sad.

Offline Betty slippers

• Dance, dance, dance, weird, weird, weird, dance
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 9 2011 12:34PM GMT-1 »
I think this counts most closely as a sad thing - the riots.
I feel for the family of Mark Duggan, whose grief has been hijacked by people wanting any excuse to smash and steal. I feel for the family businesses and hard-working people having their shops destroyed, and those whose homes have been caught up in it all. This isn't any kind of attack on the government, fat cats, bankers or anyone else in power or to 'blame' for anything, it's just thuggishness and wrong.
If it hadn'a been for Flash Company...

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 9 2011 12:42PM GMT-1 »
Exactly.  What's happening now is nothing to do with Mark Duggan or anything else really.  It's just a mindless escalation of greed, frustration. gullibility and stupidity.  And as all Met police leave has been cancelled, it's likely the friends I should be going to Cropredy with this weekend (after all the on an off-ness of it all) may not be coming as Penny's in the Met although only a Community Support officer, so it's not just the homes and businesses under direct attack that are being affected - it's impacting on all sorts of areas. 

It's incredibly sad that this is happening but the cynical part of me wonders why, and who's really behind it.  I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but - well, it makes me wonder sometines.

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 9 2011 12:43PM GMT-1 »
Navigator had stock in the PIAS warehouse that was burned down, according to this:

http://thefourohfive.com/news/article/pias-warehouse-destroyed-in-london-riots-pias-fundraiser-event-details#.TkEL2ed_x-8.twitter

There's stuff in this item about fundraising and so on.

We can't go over it, we can't go under it....

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 9 2011 12:47PM GMT-1 »
Very impressed by the "wombles" who seem to have mobilised themselves via Twitter to clean up the mess.  I've also seen reports of people collecting toiletries and other basic essentials for people who have lost their homes.
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

miniwhistler

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 9 2011 04:33PM GMT-1 »
We've got a friend who lives in Hackney, who was sitting in her house pretty scared, watching bins and cars being set alight last night. Luckily she and her house were fine.

This morning she was saying that lots of people are out with bins and brooms, and the whole street seems to have come together to help clean up the mess.

Offline Stephenw

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 9 2011 07:02PM GMT-1 »
Manchester city centre has been closed to trams and there's a large police presence there. Some trouble has occurred but it's fairly minor. However a friend of mine says that the the atmosphere is tense and shops are being closed up early. The good folks on Twitter are spreading stupid rumours that don't help the situation.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it." But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.

Offline louisec

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, August 9 2011 07:27PM GMT-1 »
there was some morons around salford and manchester fort apparently.

Offline crossstitchgill

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 9 2011 07:30PM GMT-1 »
My son collected my grandson from his nursery in Wandsworth early tonight because he had heard that there had been some trouble and shops were closing up early. He works in Putney and there had been problems and in Kingston where he lives some businesses had been closing early.