Author Topic: Towersey  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Vivienne

Towersey
« on: Wednesday, August 10 2011 04:08PM GMT-1 »
Anyone going to Towersey or are you all off to Shrewsbury? (or of course none of the above!)

Offline Oxford Trunkles

• Master of Epic Folly
Re: Towersey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 10 2011 04:36PM GMT-1 »
Shrewsbury for us, our first year missing Towersey for longer than I can remember.

Offline Ollie

• I Morris, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 10 2011 05:09PM GMT-1 »
Shrewsbury for us, our first year missing Towersey for longer than I can remember.

Other way round for me, except I can remember when I last didn't go to Shrewsbury.  :P

I'll be around playing for Gog Magog Molly.
"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 10 2011 06:25PM GMT-1 »
exactly the same here

Offline Raytard

• Wannabe folkie
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 10 2011 11:39PM GMT-1 »
I'll be at towersy, provided i get there, its gonna be fiddly

Offline gloriajay

• Ya-da-da-da-da-da
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 11 2011 04:19PM GMT-1 »
I can't make it....but my friend's going. I'll tell her to keep an eye out for y'all.   ;D
"If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done."

http://www.folkatthepumphouse.webs.com/

Offline sarahfairy

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 11 2011 05:02PM GMT-1 »
Neither for me.  Off to spend the weekend in Somerset instead so I'm not complaining

Offline Vivienne

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 18 2011 10:07AM GMT-1 »
Towersey programme has come.  Now to see what clashes there are!

Offline Vivienne

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 18 2011 02:52PM GMT-1 »
Have now studied the programme and I think I can get to see almost everybody I want to.  The main difficulty will be getting from Spiers and Boden which finishes at 10.15 in the Concert Tent to Demon Barbers which starts at 10.15 in the Festival Dance House!

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 23 2011 08:41AM GMT-1 »
Friend at session last night has a spare adult full season for Towersey festival (this weekend!) - open to offers. PM me for contact details if interested.
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Vivienne

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 30 2011 05:22PM GMT-1 »
Back from Towersey now.

New discovery - James Findlay (well not quite new as I already had a CD, but the first time I'd managed to see him live )  what a voice!

Other highlights, well a certain duo (of course!), the Scottish concert with Saltfish Forty, Alasdair Roberts. Karine Polwart and Lau, where they all mixed in together, with Lau turning up for the last number of Saltfish Forty's set, Alasdair Roberts inviting Karine Polwart and Inge Thomson to do some backing vocals, then Karine Polwart returning the favour with some duets with Alasdair, and then joining Lau for several tracks from their EP.  It was quite a surprise when Lau did a set on their own!

Who else? oh, Brendan Power and Tim Edey, and many others.

One thing - I couldn't figure why Ewan McLennan got the Horizon award, nothing wrong with him but nothing outstanding - IMO

Quite a surprize to see Annie and Paul at Billy Bragg on the Thursday - I thought they must have taken a wrong turning out of force of habit!

Offline Ollie

• I Morris, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 30 2011 06:13PM GMT-1 »
My first Towersey...

Not sure I'll be back.

Maybe I had preconceptions about it, but it didn't live up to the hype that seems to surround the festival. I still had a good time, but... I'll be (hopefully!) back at Shrewsbury next year.

There didn't seem to be a huge amount going on, and it was quite bitty, with lots of gaps of not a lot. However, what I did do was good, just could've done with more of it.

Due to dancing and being social with Gogs, I didn't really see that much. Here's what I did see:

Home Service - excellent as ever, and nice to hear an encore (Whole New Vision) that they'd not done at either Cambridge or Cropredy.
Tyde - technically brilliant, but very bland. Little musicality and I thought their stage patter was poor. Getting fed up of the Folkworks sound now. Next.
Coope Boyes & Simpson - haven't seen them do a normal gig before, but they were great. The intro to Rufford Park Poachers was inspired!
Spiers & Boden - haven't seem them on their own for faaarrr too long, and it was great (though the bass was a biiit loud at points). Nice to be in a full tent with everyone dancing and singing along.

So, all in all, a good weekend, but not enough to entice me back next year over Shrewsbury.
"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."

Offline Nick

• Talkawhile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 8 2011 01:26PM GMT-1 »
Hey Ollie, is that you sat at the front with squeezebox?

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/towersey/2011/review-overview.shtml

Cheers

Nick
The collective noun for a group of hermits? ... a failure