Author Topic: Misheard Lyrics  (Read 54498 times)

Offline Gower Flower

Misheard Lyrics
« on: Wednesday, November 21 2007 08:48PM GMT-1 »

Apologies if this has been done before.

I used to think that Jon, in “Rambling Sailor” was singing:

to court all girls’ attention” when it turns out he was singing “to court all girls who’s handsome.”  I only discovered this when I first listened to “Sailor” on Through and Through.

A rather more ridiculous one….has anyone else ever thought that this lyric from the same song…. “I’ll court them all both old young” can sometimes sound like “I'll call their mobile phones and some"?   ;)

No. I thought not. Coat on.  ::)

Any other misheard lyrics out there?
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Offline Ancient Muse

Re: Misheard Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 21 2007 09:47PM GMT-1 »
Absolutely none Gower old Flower!

In fact I am always exceedingly impressed by Jon B's perfect enunciation - I can understand (and indeed hang on!) his every word!

;)

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 21 2007 09:55PM GMT-1 »
Oh so do I, but sometimes, something "misheard" can take ages to correct.

Jon's voice has grown in strength, range and confidence since "Through and Through" in my opinion.

Anyway, stop grovelling Muse. Shove over, it's my turn. LOL!!!!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9

Offline cazzer

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 07:41PM GMT-1 »
just listened to the 'Rambling sailor' I think i agree with you Gower.    I did hear ' I'll call their mobiles and some'

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 07:55PM GMT-1 »
just listened to the 'Rambling sailor' I think i agree with you Gower.    I did hear ' I'll call their mobiles and some'

Huzzah! A see a T-shirt motif in the offing.... :P ::)

Thank you Carol. I thought I was losing the plot there for a minute.

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9

Offline Betty slippers

• Dance, dance, dance, weird, weird, weird, dance
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, November 24 2007 11:32PM GMT-1 »
On Courting Too Slow I always hear 'He fell on the bed - "Am I courting too slow?"', rather than 'He fair won the day by my courting too slow'. So I have images of the sailor being very forward in his wooing, draping himself over the lady's bed!
If it hadn'a been for Flash Company...

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, November 25 2007 11:53AM GMT-1 »
On Courting Too Slow I always hear 'He fell on the bed - "Am I courting too slow?"', rather than 'He fair won the day by my courting too slow'. So I have images of the sailor being very forward in his wooing, draping himself over the lady's bed!

LOL! Classic  8) Just imagine that as a chat up line... ::)

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 2 2007 02:21PM GMT-1 »

LOL! Classic  8) Just imagine that as a chat up line... ::)

And here I thought that was how modern courting worked  :o ::)

I've always had trouble with the words of Child Morris for some reason, although I don't think that's to do with Jon's enunciation so much as my tendancy to listen to tunes rather than words! Although I do permanently hear "errand ill" as "Earendil", which just goes to show that I've devoted too much of my life reading Tolkien...oh dear...
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Betty slippers

• Dance, dance, dance, weird, weird, weird, dance
« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 3 2007 01:05PM GMT-1 »
In Fire Marengo, is there anyone that actually hears the slightly risque lyrics half way through, as opposed to "yo ho yoho, yohoeyhoeyho" that I do? Do you think that is deliberate on Jon's part?
If it hadn'a been for Flash Company...

Outlandish Newt

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 6 2007 07:59PM GMT-1 »
Not sure about misheard lyrics but often mis-sung ones where I'm concerned.  For some reason London Town frequently comes out sounding more like Ryukyuan Japanese than Victorian English.  Brain and mouth have particular difficulty engaging sensibly on the line 'The supper over, the table cleared, the waiter brought white wine and red'.  I think I'll stick to whistling it :o

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, December 6 2007 08:27PM GMT-1 »
Not sure about misheard lyrics but often mis-sung ones where I'm concerned.  For some reason London Town frequently comes out sounding more like Ryukyuan Japanese than Victorian English.  Brain and mouth have particular difficulty engaging sensibly on the line 'The supper over, the table cleared, the waiter brought white wine and red'.  I think I'll stick to whistling it :o

I know nothing of Ryukuan Japanese (funnily enough), but I am always mightily impressed by Jon's ability to deliver the quoted lines without tripping over the words. It sounds like a classic tongue-twister to me. :)

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9

Outlandish Newt

« Reply #11 on: Friday, December 7 2007 11:41PM GMT-1 »
I am always mightily impressed by Jon's ability to deliver the quoted lines without tripping over the words. It sounds like a classic tongue-twister to me. :)

Yes, he does a pretty fine job with the vocals, even on Flash Company when he's completely plastered.  He is plastered, isn't he?..  ::) 

I did notice one thing though.  In Rigs of the Times, the butcher usually charges fourpence a pound, but on Jools Holland (YouTube) he's charging sixpence a pound.  Jon mucking about maybe?  On second thoughts, probably just inflation  :D

Offline firehazard

• All in his tarry trews
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, December 8 2007 11:00AM GMT-1 »
In Rigs of the Times, the butcher usually charges fourpence a pound, but on Jools Holland (YouTube) he's charging sixpence a pound.  Jon mucking about maybe?  On second thoughts, probably just inflation  :D

BBC premium rates?  ;)

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, December 8 2007 11:25PM GMT-1 »
In Fire Marengo, is there anyone that actually hears the slightly risque lyrics half way through, as opposed to "yo ho yoho, yohoeyhoeyho" that I do? Do you think that is deliberate on Jon's part?

I always thought it was "I'll haul her high, I'll haul her low". Whether that refers to a boat or a lady is open to interpretation. :-X :o ::)

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, December 9 2007 01:13AM GMT-1 »

I always thought it was "I'll haul her high, I'll haul her low". Whether that refers to a boat or a lady is open to interpretation. :-X :o ::)

That is indeed the line, but I also generally hear "yo ho yoho, yohoeyhoeyho"...I believe the words refer to the lady :)
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump