Author Topic: Spring Tour  (Read 17356 times)

Offline Gilly

Re: Spring Tour
« Reply #60 on: Monday, May 14 2012 02:42PM GMT-1 »
I think I'd quite like to do twitter, but then I'd get even less done than I do now!

Anyone else coming to Colchester tonight? Do tap me on the shoulder & I'll buy you a drink. You can't miss me - I'm short, red haired, and almost entirely spherical since the baby is due in just under 4 weeks...

Offline Nick

• Talkawhile
« Reply #61 on: Monday, May 14 2012 02:46PM GMT-1 »
Last night was smashing! Chipping Norton Theatre is a lovely venue ... The audience were (was?) quite subdued

That sums up Chippy Theatre in a nutshell. It is a lovely venue, but at every gig I've been to there it seems the majority of the audience don't know what's hit them and many seem positively offended by what's going on on stage!

The most bizarre gig I saw there was The Family Mahone. Now given that they used to introduce every number with "This one's a drinking song!" you'd think that the audience might have a clue as to how to react after the first couple of songs? Nope. Stone-faced silence throughout. Gaah!

Cheers

Nick
The collective noun for a group of hermits? ... a failure

Offline Oxford Trunkles

• Master of Epic Folly
« Reply #62 on: Monday, May 14 2012 03:36PM GMT-1 »
Grr - does that mean I've got to join Twitter?
I refuse to join twitter...already have facbook take too much of my time up.

Twitter doesn't take up that mauch time ...... not really .........well, not that much! :laugh:

Offline Oxford Trunkles

• Master of Epic Folly
« Reply #63 on: Monday, May 14 2012 03:38PM GMT-1 »
Grr - does that mean I've got to join Twitter?

Go on, join the dark side!

Offline Anna

« Reply #64 on: Monday, May 14 2012 08:49PM GMT-1 »
That sums up Chippy Theatre in a nutshell. It is a lovely venue, but at every gig I've been to there it seems the majority of the audience don't know what's hit them and many seem positively offended by what's going on on stage!

The most bizarre gig I saw there was The Family Mahone. Now given that they used to introduce every number with "This one's a drinking song!" you'd think that the audience might have a clue as to how to react after the first couple of songs? Nope. Stone-faced silence throughout. Gaah!
People did seem to be enjoying themselves, they just sat rather still. People are strange! It was nice and full (which is more than can be said for the Demon Barbers or Jim Moray. Not many people there for either, which was a real shame. It must be so demoralising when there are so many empty seats, and even more so when it's a little place like that). John and Jon were very well received, though, and I hope they come back again. (Although I wonder if there was a reason we didn't get told to sing the chorus of Bold Sir Rylas without any consonants...)
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline pemsey1

« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, May 15 2012 11:50AM GMT-1 »

People did seem to be enjoying themselves, they just sat rather still. People are strange! It was nice and full (which is more than can be said for the Demon Barbers or Jim Moray. Not many people there for either, which was a real shame. It must be so demoralising when there are so many empty seats, and even more so when it's a little place like that). John and Jon were very well received, though, and I hope they come back again. (Although I wonder if there was a reason we didn't get told to sing the chorus of Bold Sir Rylas without any consonants...)

I think some of it might be to do with a what an audience "expects" - some expect to join in and others expect to "be entertained"  (or rattle their jewellery as the fab four said!)- I've noticed this at different shows and venues - most noticeably the good old Rocky Horror Show - Northampton Derngate is like an animal feeding off the energy. When I went to see it at Milton Keynes it was hard work!

Have to say that I did quite enjoy being able to fully appreciate the skill and musicality at the show in Chipping Norton - and getting bouncy under the balcony would have been hazardous to my health :aemo_spibodjmp:

Offline brianleach

« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, May 15 2012 11:54AM GMT-1 »
Dare I say it. Is it perhaps an age thing? The Basingstoke audience appeared to be rather older than the Stepping Stones one and much more reserved.

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, May 15 2012 12:32PM GMT-1 »

Have to say that I did quite enjoy being able to fully appreciate the skill and musicality at the show in Chipping Norton - and getting bouncy under the balcony would have been hazardous to my health :aemo_spibodjmp:

Were you at Chippy on Sunday?  We didn't see you. 

Offline pemsey1

« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, May 15 2012 01:09PM GMT-1 »
I was there but without the more recognisable and energetic members of the family as I could only get a single ticket - I thought I saw you in the bar area but was in a queue so stayed where I was! Will you be at Sunningwell as the full complement will be there in the cheap seats ;D Hopefully the rain will have ceased by then or we might all be in the pond - wonder if S&B could give a quick rendition of "Nearer my God to Thee" if the stage submerges ;)

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, May 15 2012 03:47PM GMT-1 »
Sorry we missed you.  We won't be at Sunningwell - this was it for us  :(

Offline Stephenw

« Reply #70 on: Sunday, May 20 2012 01:47AM GMT-1 »
John and Jon were at Bury last night. The gig was part seated, part standing. All the seats were taken but there was enough room in the standing area to have a good boogie, should you wish. Many of the younger members of the audience did but there were still one or two tree trunks in the audience. The gig was smashing of course. Some old songs and tunes and some new jokes-hurrah!

As an aside. Jon mentioned in passing that they were getting material together for a new album.  After Squeezy mentioned 'Doctor Who' (something to do with regeneration) Jon wondered if they should include some filk songs on the record. Filk songs are folk songs about science-fiction films and TV programmes. I had the misfortune to hear some of this stuff, it's not good. The 'Doctor Who' equivalent is called Trock (Time Lord Rock) and is also dreadful. 
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it." But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.

Offline Ollie

• I Morris, therefore I am
« Reply #71 on: Sunday, May 20 2012 12:47PM GMT-1 »
Chris Conway is pretty good!
"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."

Offline louisec

« Reply #72 on: Sunday, May 20 2012 03:21PM GMT-1 »

As an aside. Jon mentioned in passing that they were getting material together for a new album.  After Squeezy mentioned 'Doctor Who' (something to do with regeneration) Jon wondered if they should include some filk songs on the record. Filk songs are folk songs about science-fiction films and TV programmes. I had the misfortune to hear some of this stuff, it's not good. The 'Doctor Who' equivalent is called Trock (Time Lord Rock) and is also dreadful.
I did have to look. it's not right is it. odd

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #73 on: Sunday, May 20 2012 04:25PM GMT-1 »
Please don't.