Author Topic: Wax Cylinder Recording - anyone remember?  (Read 2655 times)

Gossipmistress

Wax Cylinder Recording - anyone remember?
« on: Wednesday, December 7 2011 05:21PM GMT-1 »
Hi
Does anyone remember, by any chance, who the artist was on the wax cylinder recording of 'Stardust' (I think!) used at the end of the Remnant Kings tour before last? I loved that particular recording and have found some others but they're not as good. Any hints gratefully received - thanks!

Offline maureen

Re: Wax Cylinder Recording - anyone remember?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 7 2011 06:34PM GMT-1 »
I think it was Hoagy Carmichael's version.
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Jon Boden

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 8 2011 10:54AM GMT-1 »
Hi. The wax cylinder recording at the end of the show was of me singing (actually we recorded it with the band too but they were too far away from the horn so didn't really pick up - so we decided they'd play live). Is that what you mean? Not commercially available! I'd recommend the Doris Day version though. J

Gossipmistress

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 8 2011 10:39PM GMT-1 »
Hello and thanks v much for replying - yes, it was exactly that which I meant - it hadn't crossed my mind that it might be you on the wax recording - I presumed it was someone from the 1930's - it hadn't occurred to me that you might still be able to record onto them. I remember it being very gentle and lilting compared to some of the recordings I've been listening to, and the crackly wax really added to it. However I haven't heard Doris yet so I will pursue that recording... WOuld be lovely to have your version on an album sometime. Many Thanks, Sarah