Author Topic: Melodeon advice  (Read 10384 times)

Ant

Melodeon advice
« on: Tuesday, January 3 2012 07:45PM GMT-1 »
Hi there,

I've got some Christmas money to spend and I've decided that I'm finally going to get myself a melodeon and have a go at teaching myself. I'm a complete beginner but a pretty good piano and guitar player so I'm confident I can master the basics.

Anyway, I know I need a D/G two row melodeon but don't know much else. I have a limited budget (basically £300 at the very, very most) and I know that this will only get me a beginner's instrument.

I've seen one for £230 in a sale... it's a D/G Stephenelli, 21-treble buttons and 8-bass buttons

Ant

Melodeon advice
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 3 2012 07:46PM GMT-1 »
and I want to know if this is

a) a suitable instrument for a beginner
b) value for money

ANY advice gratefully received.

Ant

Ant

Re: Melodeon advice
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 3 2012 07:49PM GMT-1 »
Or even better, if any one has (or knows of) a suitable second-hand instrument for sale for around that figure...

Offline Anna

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 3 2012 08:30PM GMT-1 »
It is perfectly possible to teach yourself, and is a great instrument to learn. I would strongly advise having a proper look at any melodeon you're thinking about buying. They will all handle differently, and some are more responsive than others. I've got a Scarlatti Woods, which feels much nicer than the other lower-priced boxes I looked at (I found some to be too chunky and difficult to get my fingers round, and others just felt cheap and nasty), and it's relatively quiet, so doesn't disturb the neighbours too much! I consider mine to be really good value for money, and don't get time to play it half as much as I'd like to - I'd never put it down given the opportunity!

PS. It's worth having a look at http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php to familiarise yourself with the layout of the buttons and poke about for advice  :aemo_squeeze:
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 3 2012 08:36PM GMT-1 by Anna »
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline Ollie

• I Morris, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 3 2012 08:44PM GMT-1 »
Hi Ant,

Welcome to the dark side.  ;D

To answer your questions

a) Yes, it is a suitable beginner's instrument
b) Possibly. Despite the name, these instruments are made in the Far East and are not made to a massively high standard. The box will last you as a beginner, but not much more than that. To be honest, you'd be far better off looking around for a German made Hohner Pokerwork or Erica second hand, which you should be able to find for that sort of price. This will be a well made instrument that has already lasted a while, and will last a while longer yet! Also, it will retain its value should you not get on with it and decide to sell it on.

That said, this looks like a good deal - http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,8580.0.html

In fact, you may want to register over at melodeon.net; it's a great support for beginners.  :)

Best of luck!
Ollie
"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."

Offline Anna

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 3 2012 08:48PM GMT-1 »
I came back to edit, but Ollie beat me to it! My box wasn't the first one I tried - that was a Pokerwork  :) and I fell for it within minutes - giving it back was a bit of a wrench!! It was lovely to hold, and they have the advantage of being really pretty, too! ;D (Mine has sparkly innards, though, I like sparkly.)

Offline Milady

• Has a Concertina, Melodeon and Fiddle
    • ladydetemps youtube
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 4 2012 03:28PM GMT-1 »
I'd echo the advice to join melnet. I've been learning melodeon for 3 and a bit years and haven't regretted it. Melnet is a great resource for learning.
I can guarantee that you will not know what box you *need* and that suits you till you've been playing a year. So buying something like a pokerwork or similar is fine first off (I say that though as someone who went straight for an Italian box as I'd wrestled with a cheap concertina previously. lol!)

What kinda music you want to play on it Ant? And what part of the country are you in...
There's an absolute beginners class http://www.eatmt.org.uk/m&m.htm and its nice to browse the stalls and find what kinda box you might like to play.
"Lovely band...they play music and everything..."
My Blog http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Ollie

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 4 2012 03:46PM GMT-1 »
I can guarantee that you will not know what box you *need* and that suits you till you've been playing a year. So buying something like a pokerwork or similar is fine first off (I say that though as someone who went straight for an Italian box as I'd wrestled with a cheap concertina previously. lol!)

The difference here being that if you get a good German made Pokerwork, it's not a cheap, shoddy instrument and will last for a good while, and be a joy to play (I say this as someone who has been down the Italian box route, found it OK for some things, and is getting a restored Hohner Erika soon). Hell, John Kirkpatrick never progressed from a Hohner, and neither did Tony Hall, nor Pete Coe! It's a myth a) that Hohners are shoddy, cheap, beginners instruments, and b) that they're limiting instruments.

Concertinas are an entirely different world, because it is very difficult to get a cheap playable one.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 4 2012 03:56PM GMT-1 by Ollie »
"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."

Offline Milady

• ladydetemps youtube
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 4 2012 03:54PM GMT-1 »
Every pokerwork I've ever played has been a pig and I've ached afterwards (that is why I don't pay my one row often). But then I'm a weakling. lol!

Offline Ollie

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 4 2012 03:56PM GMT-1 »
You've obviously never played a nice Hohner then.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 4 2012 05:09PM GMT-1 »
You've obviously never played a nice Hohner then.

I second Ollie's view here - I started off on a secondhand Hohner Erica (about £300 from the Music Room, about 4 years ago), and although I've graduated onto a Saltarelle I really wish I hadn't sold the Erica (unfortunately circumstances forced it at the time. I will be getting a replacement for it as soon as finances allow!). Anyway, the people of melnet will give good advice, and good secondhand boxes often come up for sale over there. Good luck, and enjoy!

P.s. LdT - I ache more after playing the 2.5 row, just because of the extra weight. Especially when playing for NW morris!!
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Milady

• ladydetemps youtube
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 4 2012 05:22PM GMT-1 »
I don't think I'd ever go for a 2.5 row. Too heavy. The Beltuna sara put me off big boxes (nice sound but like wrestling an oldfashioned TV)...they just don't suit me.
I'm more tommy/lilly kinda size melodeon person. (If it were possible I'd get a concertina that sounded like a melodeon.)
sorry thread drifting.

Offline Ollie

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 4 2012 05:30PM GMT-1 »
The Sara 2 is not a big box...

Sounds like a Lilliput would suit you perfectly.

Ant

« Reply #13 on: Friday, January 6 2012 11:09PM GMT-1 »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm off down to HobgoblIn on Monday... I'm after a smallish box myself so I'll see what they've got.

Offline Anna

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 7 2012 11:19AM GMT-1 »
Good luck, and have fun!  :aemo_squeeze: