Author Topic: Question For Bellowhead - Help with music degree  (Read 1800 times)

Offline timdoyle91

Question For Bellowhead - Help with music degree
« on: Monday, May 14 2012 11:32PM GMT-1 »
I think this is a question that can only be answered by band members but if anyone has anything of use that'd be great!

I'm currently writing an essay as part of the second year of my music degree on the production of Burlesque, and the various genre and meaning connotations of the production values of the album. Although I have done my own analysis of what I can hear on the recording, I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on the recording of the album? Things such as what studio set up was used, whether it was mainly recorded live, or each instrument was recorded individually, how much processing was done to the recorded sound etc. etc.

Any kind of related information would be a big help.

Thanks a lot

Tim

Offline Squeezy

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • melodeon & concertina
    • Spiers & Boden main site
Re: Question For Bellowhead - Help with music degree
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 15 2012 05:13PM GMT-1 »
Hi Tim - and welcome,

I'm afraid I can't help out with the way the sound was processed after it was recorded as I wasn't part of that at all, none of the band really were, you'd have to get in touch with Ben Mandelson and have a chat with him to see if he can remember what was done.

The tracks on Burlesque were all recorded live with all musicians at Livingstone studios, but without the lead & backing vocals which were recorded afterwards.  The brass section was in one room, the sousaphone was recorded in some kind of broom cupboard!  The drums were in a very big lively room - and the rest of the band were in another big room and fairly closely miked up.  We all had varying degrees of eye contact with each other and had headphones to hear each other while we were playing.

Some overdubs were done to correct little mistakes from certain musicians (certainly me anyway) - and as far as I remember there was very little "layering up" on the recordings - that means we didn't record the same instruments over and over again to fatten the sound up which is a common thing to do on mainstream recordings - however we have done that since with subsequent recordings.

Sorry I can't help much more than that.  I'm sure you could get hold of Ben if you managed to get hold of a number or email address from the internet though.

Cheers

Squeezy

Offline timdoyle91

Re: Question For Bellowhead - Help with music degree
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 16 2012 11:42PM GMT-1 »
Ah that's great thanks! I will have a look and see if I can get in touch with Ben, but that's already a big help, especially an insight into how you arranged the band for the recording, as it's often something that can be difficult to find out.

Thanks again

Tim