Author Topic: 2012 Melodeon Mics  (Read 5088 times)

Offline timdoyle91

2012 Melodeon Mics
« on: Sunday, September 23 2012 10:09PM GMT-1 »
I was wondering if anyone could help me or give any advice.

I've just bought a brand new Serenellini 233 Deluxe D/G box and as with my old box, had an aftermarket internal mic system fitted. The mics were beautifully fitted, but the limitations of internal mics are just becoming too much to overlook (uneven coverage of notes on the treble side etc.), not to mention that the bass side of the new box is more than the mics can cope with. I need to look into investing some external mics to do my new box justice (it was a BIG investment for a student!), and I was wondering if anyone knows what mics Squeezy has been using this year, as I experienced them from an audience point of view in Liverpool this week (thanks for signing the vinyl by the way John!) and was impressed with the sound.

Am I also right in saying they are mounted with magnets?

Are there any other microphones that people would recommend?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Offline Squeezy

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • melodeon & concertina
    • Spiers & Boden main site
Re: 2012 Melodeon Mics
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 24 2012 12:10AM GMT-1 »
Hi Tim,

The mics I use are made by Audio-technica - they're ATM350 models both on the right and the left hand side.

They are attached by magnets - but they don't come that way - they come with a gooseneck attachment on a clip ... I bodged the system together because there's no way to clip a mic on to a melodeon really and velcro which I used to use isn't sturdy enough.  I bought the neodymium magnets from an online shop and fitted them securely to the right hand mic and the opposite pole magnet to the instrument (with a nut & bolt so it's pretty permanent!)

The left hand mic attachment is very different and allows the very deep bass sound I like - it's not in the gooseneck attachment at all - it's in a housing I made to get it right up close to the left hand side.

I wish I could go in to minute detail - but the process of making the bits is very complicated and not a very neat solution.  I think I went in to as much detail as I could in a thread on www.melodeon.net forums.

Cheers

Squeezy

Offline timdoyle91

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 25 2012 09:45PM GMT-1 »
Thanks for your reply. I have had a look round and I think the ATM350s might be a bit out of my price range, but I am considering some cheaper alternatives. I did think about magnets before when I looked into external mics but I was worried they would interfere with the mic diaphragm. I suppose that isn't the case as it seems to work really well!

Thanks again

Tim

Offline Betty slippers

• Dance, dance, dance, weird, weird, weird, dance
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 26 2012 05:53PM GMT-1 »
Hi Tim,
When Squeezy was looking for a velcro alternative we did suggest lego. Still sad he didn't go for it! If you won't be taking the mics on and off all the time I think it would work well!
If it hadn'a been for Flash Company...

Offline Oxford Trunkles

• Master of Epic Folly
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 27 2012 07:57AM GMT-1 »
Hi Tim,
When Squeezy was looking for a velcro alternative we did suggest lego. Still sad he didn't go for it! If you won't be taking the mics on and off all the time I think it would work well!

Lego is a brilliant suggestion!  :laugh:

Offline pemsey1

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 27 2012 03:24PM GMT-1 »
TESA do some brilliant stuff - it's like velcro on steroids

http://www.tesa.co.uk/consumer/solutions/hook-and-loop-tape/hook-and-loop-tape

It might be worth a go if you didn't want to drill holes - I'd guess you'd still need to make up some sort of bracket to attach the mic to and to give a decent surface area for the tape to work on. I guess if you had a bracket that the mic clipped onto using the existing crocodile clip then you might be able to borrow a set and see if it works? The Tesa stuff is supposed to be good for 1000 on and off cycles - just an idea!?

PS - I quite like the idea of Lego too - though the real engineering solution would involve meccano and gaffa tape! ;D

Offline timdoyle91

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 27 2012 11:54PM GMT-1 »
Haha I never would've thought of Lego! To be honest magnets do seem like a good idea. I use velcro for my concertina mics but they're quite small and it hasn't lasted all that well. As long as there are no adverse effects related to having strong magnets near the mics then I would be perfectly happy to go with them.

I don't mind having to put together a solution to get the mics mounted myself, I like to think I'm a fairly practical person! Modifying the mounts slightly to take the magnet should be fine.

Thanks for that link pemsey1, if I decide not to drill holes into a brand new Italian box (which is a possibility) I'll definitely try some of that.

Thanks for all your help

Offline Squeezy

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • melodeon & concertina
    • Spiers & Boden main site
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 28 2012 12:17AM GMT-1 »
I did experiment with lego ... and it is a brilliant idea.  Only the flat thin sort of lego held strongly enough - and a large enough piece did hold the weight of the mic.  However it wasn't as strong as the magnets and one more advantage magnets had was that they "find" each other so it's easier to attach without looking at what you're doing.  Sometimes the time I have to change a melodeon is so short - especially in Bellowhead - that one wrong move and I can miss a cue.

Cheers

Squeezy