Author Topic: Thoughts on the new album  (Read 7846 times)

Offline northwestboy

Thoughts on the new album
« on: Monday, October 15 2012 09:07PM GMT-1 »
Played it a few times,not as instant as hedonism,a couple of the songs dont work for me,but a good album, more of a grower is Broadside

Offline Douglas

• ^ Lime Hawk-moth
Re: Thoughts on the new album
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 15 2012 09:42PM GMT-1 »
I personally see albums as a collection of tracks, rather than as one. For example I never listen to them in order and don't pay much attention to the fine details of production (sorry, all that extra money's wasted on me!)... But as a collection of tracks I really like it.

In relation to other albums; not sure where it stands compared to Hedonism. Much better than Burlesque (but then I never saw most of that live or ever will) I really like some of the tracks on Matachin, it has some of my all-time-favorites but overall I think Broadside tops it.

In terms of my personal views individual tracks:- (still chaining of course though!)
Byker - 8/10
Dun Cow - 9/10
Roll - 10/10
10,000 Miles - 8/10
Betsy - 8/10
Beetle - 7/10
Thousands - 6/10
Dockside - 9/10
Usher - 9/10
Life of Man - 7/10
Lillibulero - 10/10
Go My Way - 10/10

Wind & Rain - 7/10
Robber - 6/10

Now looking forward to album #5.  ;)
Click here to make a clicking sound - doesn't work on touchscreen devices for some reason.

Offline Clare

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 16 2012 08:25AM GMT-1 »
Just to put Mark's mind at rest: I AM listening to in order (for once:) )

Offline Anna

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 16 2012 09:19AM GMT-1 »
And I appreciate the expensive production! Every time I've listened to it (and that has been a lot of times already!), I notice something different.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline Two Fivers

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 16 2012 05:17PM GMT-1 »
If anyone likes the album enough to leave comments on Amazon, HMV, iTunes etc that would be really appreciated.

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 16 2012 05:26PM GMT-1 »
Good idea - I never think of doing that!  I've already given it 5 Stars on iTunes but will add some words too.
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Clare

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 17 2012 08:50AM GMT-1 »
If anyone likes the album enough to leave comments on Amazon, HMV, iTunes etc that would be really appreciated.

Will try and do that this morning

Offline Anna

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 17 2012 09:04AM GMT-1 »
I wrote a very eloquent review in my head while unable to sleep last night, but I've forgotten it all now! I'll have another bash later!
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 17 2012 09:12AM GMT-1 »

"If anyone likes the album enough"?  Oh Mark, as if!

Offline Two Fivers

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 18 2012 06:15PM GMT-1 »

[/quote]

Well don't like to take these things for granted...

Offline Clare

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 18 2012 07:48PM GMT-1 »
I'm just wondering how I am going to get on this weekend as I won't be able to listen to it as going to Suffolk for weekend with OH who is not a fan... and have lent my MP3 player to Douglas as his is being repaired

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 18 2012 08:47PM GMT-1 »

Well don't like to take these things for granted...
[/quote]

Bless x
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 20 2012 09:21AM GMT-1 by Shelley »
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Outlandish Nightie

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, November 11 2012 05:02PM GMT-1 »
Here’s my view of it.  First time I played it, I didn’t like it at all and in fact didn’t even get to the end.  I left it a few weeks then had another go and, half a dozen or so listens on, I’m really enjoying it.  It’s got to have the catchiest songs of all the albums.  It’s a really good ensemble piece, led and shaped by the fiddle but with everyone’s instrument and voice evident throughout (except dare I say Squeezy isn’t very prominent).  It also sounds like it could be the soundtrack of a stage musical – a bit daft and over the top at times.  For example, as What’s the Life of a Man starts I think of something like Fiddler on the Roof. 

The vocals sound a bit distorted at the beginning of Byker Hill but I like the heavy tone of the song.  Is Benji playing electric guitar on this?  Old Dun Cow is knockabout, which Jon does so well. Goodness knows why the bloke wants to wash his feet while the pub burns down around him but any song with the word pantaloons in it deserves respect.  Not too sure about the disco ending though.

The next two songs are among my favourites but then, ah, Betsy Baker which is absolutely gorgeous and makes the album shine. I love that wistful quality.  No happy ending here, with oboe and strings capturing the bittersweet essence of unrequited love.   I know that some have previously mentioned a Beatles influence on the album and it’s definitely audible in this one.  Hello Goodbye maybe?  Love it.

Black Beetle Pies is the dark and gruesome one we’ve grown used to.  I wonder if the I’m a Celebrity people heard this one first and thought, hmm... bushtucker trials...

Thousands or More is okay but it doesn’t really go anywhere.  I think I prefer the way they did the Copper song on Burlesque.  Dockside Rant will quickly become a live favourite.  Jon can probably write these in his sleep.

Wife of Usher’s Well is dramatic and mesmerising with a gripping narrative a bit like Outlandish Knight, but you have to listen pretty hard to catch it.  Surely that is electric guitar again.  Benji is listed as ‘guitars’ on the sleeve notes.  Can anyone confirm or are my ears deceiving me? 

What’s the Life of a Man? (whisky of course)  Funny old song – bit Beatlesesque again (Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite?).  Sleeve notes say morbid but surely just plain old bar-room philosophy of the kind that emerges after a pint or three.  More theatre with Lillibulero and then a deceptively cheery sounding one to finish. 

Interesting to hear what Douglas thought about it.  I must say I do find it cohesive, probably more so than any of the other three albums.  And I think it’s hugely better than Hedonism.  It feels like a natural progression from Matachin to me. 

Offline Douglas

• ^ Lime Hawk-moth
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, November 11 2012 05:17PM GMT-1 »
Your ears are not deceiving you - there's plenty of Electric guitar! (live and on album). The vocals are meant to sound distorted on some songs, same live where Jon uses a bullet mic.

I vaguely remember hearing Jon saying how they like to pattern their albums 'live, musical, live musical', etc. With Matachin being a 'musical' album and Hedonism being a 'live' one. So if they've followed this pattern, Broadside is meant to be more like Matachin than Hedonism.
Click here to make a clicking sound - doesn't work on touchscreen devices for some reason.

Outlandish Nightie

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, November 11 2012 06:01PM GMT-1 »
Your ears are not deceiving you - there's plenty of Electric guitar! (live and on album). The vocals are meant to sound distorted on some songs, same live where Jon uses a bullet mic.

I vaguely remember hearing Jon saying how they like to pattern their albums 'live, musical, live musical', etc. With Matachin being a 'musical' album and Hedonism being a 'live' one. So if they've followed this pattern, Broadside is meant to be more like Matachin than Hedonism.

Ah, glad I was paying attention then.

What is a bullet mic Douglas?