Author Topic: Thoughts on the new album  (Read 7845 times)

Offline Douglas

• ^ Lime Hawk-moth
Re: Thoughts on the new album
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, November 11 2012 06:20PM GMT-1 »
Bullet mics are just a type of microphone which you can sing into to make the vocals sound a bit distorted; looks like this:

They are usually used for harmonicas.
Click here to make a clicking sound - doesn't work on touchscreen devices for some reason.

Offline maureen

« Reply #16 on: Sunday, November 11 2012 07:22PM GMT-1 »
Has anyone called Benji "Judas" yet?!
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, November 11 2012 08:10PM GMT-1 »
A few weeks before Broadside came out, I was having an argument with someone who insisted that Bellowhead were a folk rock band and I insisted that they went (more like folk jazz if anything)....and then Benji ruins my argument by turning up with an electric guitar.  I'm not complaining of course ....
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, November 11 2012 08:57PM GMT-1 »
I personally see albums as a collection of tracks, rather than as one.

I still think sequencing on an album is hugely important, and approach things in entirely the opposite way (but then I do have days when I feel positively ancient  ::)).

I would find it very hard to listen to Broadside 'out of order', I think it comes across much better as a complete body of work  than as a whole bunch of 'singles' (it might be why the current single hasn't grabbed me in the way New York Girls did).

I agree with Outlandish Nightie that it could be the soundtrack for musical theatre - and a rather fine, earthy piece at that, along the lines of the Beggar's Opera maybe (just an idea  ;) ).

We can't go over it, we can't go under it....

Outlandish Nightie

« Reply #19 on: Monday, November 12 2012 08:00AM GMT-1 »
Bullet mics are just a type of microphone which you can sing into to make the vocals sound a bit distorted; looks like this:

They are usually used for harmonicas.

Thanks!  I shall remember to take along my bullet-proof ear plugs then, as I'm not keen on that over-loud sounding vocal at the start of Byker Hill.

Offline Clare

« Reply #20 on: Monday, November 12 2012 09:30PM GMT-1 »
Has anyone called Benji "Judas" yet?!

:)

I suppose the trousers are associated with rock bands and therefore electric guitars rather than folk bands.....

Outlandish Nightie

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, November 13 2012 08:47PM GMT-1 »
A few weeks before Broadside came out, I was having an argument with someone who insisted that Bellowhead were a folk rock band and I insisted that they went (more like folk jazz if anything)....and then Benji ruins my argument by turning up with an electric guitar.  I'm not complaining of course ....

I blame the wah-wah pedal.  He’s never been the same since he got hold of that :-)

Yes, Hedonism definitely had a bit of a jazz vibe going on.  Some of the songs meandered too much for my liking and there was a brashness in the sound that’s not there on Broadside. Toning down the brass and bringing the strings to the fore makes it sound so much warmer.  I also think having more compact songs makes for a better flow.  (I don’t *think* I suffer from a short attention span, I just think it suits the Bellowhead style more to maintain a strong pace).

I think the main thing that gives it the feel of a musical is the ‘choral’ backing on almost every track – very effective and the first time they’ve made a strong feature of this (all members are listed as ‘vocals’).  There’s also a nice continuity in the opening and closing bars, so you really feel like you’ve had a ‘performance’.  I don’t know how much of this is down to Leckie and how much to the song arrangers but I think the final article is the most consistent to date.  Good stuff. 

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, November 14 2012 04:12AM GMT-1 »
Still recovering from the Cardiff gig on Monday. I mean that in a good way, of course. I was just exhausted afterwards! 

Finally purchased a copy of Broadside. Will post comments when I have had time to give it my full attention. There was plenty of evidence of electric guitar from Benji, by the way.

(I am stilling having problems placing smileys in my posts. Grrr!}
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 14 2012 04:14AM GMT-1 by Gower Flower »
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Offline Ancient Muse

« Reply #23 on: Friday, November 16 2012 08:48PM GMT-1 »
I had a fabulous time at the Cardiff gig and I'm glad some of us went in pirate gear - I didn't feel at all out of place, oh no!!

But I'm still stiff from all the jumping around, so off to take a nice warm Radox bath ....  aaaahhhh!

I LOVe the new album. My favourite track changes from day to day, but I honestly think it's the best one yet, without a duff track and with all the fun we've come to expect.

thanks guys - magic as always   xx

Offline BaristaPete

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, June 12 2013 06:07PM GMT-1 »
Chris Evans played the new single Betsy Baker yesterday on his morning show. Hope it does as well in the charts as the others..!    ;D
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)