Author Topic: Back Yard Songs - the 2013 tour  (Read 13546 times)

Offline Squeezy

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • melodeon & concertina
    • Spiers & Boden main site
Back Yard Songs - the 2013 tour
« on: Tuesday, December 11 2012 11:42AM GMT-1 »
Hello everyone!

As many of you have already mentioned we're doing a big duo tour in April and May 2013 and we've also been dropping hints that it will be different in some ways - well, it will be different and we're hoping that you can help us with that.

Back Yard Songs is an idea that's been at the back of our minds for quite a while now - we spend so much of our time on the road and one of the best things about being a touring musician is that you get really well acquainted with almost everywhere you tour after a while.  Couple that with the fact that the kind of music we play can be infinitely local in origin - some songs and tunes can be traced back to individual villages.  So we thought that we'd focus this tour on the towns and areas we'll be visiting and hopefully learn a lot more about the music of the places we visit in the process.

Another thing we're hoping to do is have support from acts that showcase the traditions of the area in the venues before the gigs where space and time allows.

So what we're asking you for is suggestions of local tunes and songs (and maybe other traditional things like local plays or rhymes) for each area we're coming to.  There is a website set up for the tour at www.backyardsongs.com which shows a map with each of the gigs on it that you can click on to leave a comment with your suggestions.  You could just suggest a song or tune title, but any link to lyrics, sheet music, or a recording would be brilliant.  You could even upload your own interpretations on YouTube and put a link to that!  We will be performing at least one of these new songs/tunes at each gig.

This is possibly the most excited I've been about a tour for ages - I think if we can get loads of people involved and spread the word this could be something very special.  Anything you can do to help spread the word on Facebook, Twitter and the rest would be greatly appreciated.

But in the meantime ... your suggestions please!

www.backyardsongs.com

Cheers

Squeezy

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
Re: Back Yard Songs - the 2013 tour
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 16 2012 11:32AM GMT-1 »
I've already responded via Facebook as you know - do I need to post my link on the website too?
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Vivienne

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 16 2012 12:05PM GMT-1 »
Not exactly what you were asking for but my arrangements for a pass out for St George's Day was driving my John to The Boat Inn at Stoke Bruerne where Rose & Castle Morris and other invited sides hold their annual St George's Day bash before going to the Stables and then going to pick him up afterwards.  You and Jon are welcome to come along and join the session (usually several sessions) afterwards.

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 16 2012 12:51PM GMT-1 »
I see you have Sid Calderbank for the Bury Met gig - he is fabulous, but be warned, his accent is so thick he should be subtitled!

His daughter Liz is teaching me (and a few others) to clog dance.  It would be great to see her there too, as she does a dance where the steps echo the sounds of the machines in the mills, and Sid sings a song that fits.  Very clever.  I can't remember what it's called of course.
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 30 2013 08:10PM GMT-1 »
I have responded on Facebook also. Not sure if it has worked though...... :-[
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 31 2013 05:02AM GMT-1 »
Huh! It seems your Cardiff gig is supported by Swansea's DnA in any case, so I needn't have bothered.  :(  I still hope Bugeilio'r Gweneth Gwyn gets a look in.

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9

Offline maureen

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 19 2013 03:28AM GMT-1 »
Just seen a poster for the tour at Colchester Arts Centre - PWHOAR! (Did I just say that out loud?!)
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 19 2013 10:22AM GMT-1 »
You did!  Can I take it there's a new photo?

Offline maureen

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 19 2013 11:07AM GMT-1 »
Yes! I was very tempted to liberate it!

Offline crossstitchgill

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 19 2013 11:16AM GMT-1 »
We've got tickets for Colchester. The support are Potiphar's Apprentices, two of whom are in Neil's morris side.

Offline maureen

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 19 2013 12:26PM GMT-1 »
See you there then, Gill!

Offline Ancient Muse

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, March 24 2013 02:10AM GMT-1 »
Bridget is keen to hear S&B attempt "Oes gafr eto?" when in Cardiff - she will even print out the words for the audience! It's a song about variously coloured goats in case you were interested.

Personally, I'd rather hear the Bells of Rhymney (all of a sudden I'm getting deja vu - have I already typed this somewhere or just thought it?) but whatever, I know it'll be a crackin' evening.

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, March 24 2013 02:21AM GMT-1 »
Bridget is keen to hear S&B attempt "Oes gafr eto?" when in Cardiff - she will even print out the words for the audience! It's a song about variously coloured goats in case you were interested.

Personally, I'd rather hear the Bells of Rhymney (all of a sudden I'm getting deja vu - have I already typed this somewhere or just thought it?) but whatever, I know it'll be a crackin' evening.

Will be great to see you there Andy! I have opted for "Begulio'r Gweneth Gwyn" but we shall see what transpires. DnA (Swansea based mother and daughter duo) are supporting.

Maybe you me and Brij should offer our services as a trio? LOL!  :aemo_spibodjmp:

Oes gafr eto, eh? Blimey, I have not heard that one in many years. It's going to be a grand evening!  ;D

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9

Offline royaledeluxe

« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 1 2013 11:19AM GMT-1 »
If you are looking at "Bells of Rhymney" (written in response to the miners strike of mid 1920's), then YouTube has various versions by amongst others, The Byrds, Pete Seeger and John Denver.

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #14 on: Friday, April 12 2013 12:18PM GMT-1 »
Tour starts tomorrow.
We are going to Diss and Haverhill
Anybody else?