Author Topic: Back Yard Songs - the 2013 tour  (Read 12506 times)

Offline Betty slippers

• Dance, dance, dance, weird, weird, weird, dance
Re: Back Yard Songs - the 2013 tour
« Reply #15 on: Friday, April 12 2013 01:13PM GMT-1 »
See you at Haverhill!
If it hadn'a been for Flash Company...

Offline Ollie

• I Morris, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Friday, April 12 2013 04:00PM GMT-1 »
Not sure if I'll be back from Somerset in time to make the Sheffield gig.  :-\
"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, April 14 2013 12:45PM GMT-1 »
Last night at Diss was great. A nice big bar area, and stepdancing organised by Katie and John Howson. That's why we went all that way.

I thought it would be nice if we posted what local songs / tunes were played at each gig.  There are a lot of gigs on the tour, so we need some of you members who don't normally post, to join in if you're going to any of the shows.

Day 1: Diss Corn Hall
A song called Bungay Roger, suggested by John & Katie.
here http://www.afolksongaday.com/2013/01/26/bungay-roger/

a song called General Wolfe, collected in Diss by Vaughan Williams. Jon's version from the singing of the Watersons.

a tune with Hengrave in the title, possibly called 'a trip to Hengrave' or 'Hengrave Hornpipe' which comes from near Bury St Edmunds.
* a trip to Hengrave, John has posted a little video of the stepdancing here
http://backyardsongs.tumblr.com/post/47943601745/the-tour-got-off-to-a-cracking-start-last-night

« Last Edit: Sunday, April 14 2013 12:51PM GMT-1 by AnnieD »

Offline BaristaPete

« Reply #18 on: Monday, April 15 2013 05:14PM GMT-1 »
John has posted a little video of the stepdancing here
http://backyardsongs.tumblr.com/post/47943601745/the-tour-got-off-to-a-cracking-start-last-night

I thought that the chicken made a great job of the stepdancing too...!    :laugh:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #19 on: Monday, April 15 2013 06:51PM GMT-1 »
Day 2: Haverhill
Ouse Washes Molly danced outside the venue, luckily it was dry. Nice to meet Liz and Matt, also Lorna and Peter.

They were asked for the same song as they played in Diss (Bungay Roger) - and Jon also sang Rolling Home, a sea song collected in Haverhill by Neil Lanham.  John S also played a medley including the tune George Green’s College Hornpipe from George Green of Little Downham in Cambridgeshire.

John's report here including a short video of the dancing:
http://backyardsongs.tumblr.com/post/48040330129/day-2-haverhill-arts-centre

Offline maureen

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, April 16 2013 04:38PM GMT-1 »
Day Three - Colchester

Evening started with Potiphar's Apprentices - a local group who sing only songs collected by Vaughn Williams in Essex, mainly from a Mr Potiphar.

S&B did two Essex songs - The Lady on the Mountain, a children's playground song, collected by a Mrs Gomm (?). Jon played guitar on this, a lovely gentle song.

Then a rollicking version of Old Joe, which is ear worming me, too, Gill. Filmed both, and am putting them on YouTube, but unfortunately, my iPod crashed just before the end of Old Joe.

And it was lovely to see Mark again!
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, April 16 2013 05:03PM GMT-1 »
In your video for Oh Joe, John said it has ended up as a stepdancing tune. In fact, John & Katie Howson were playing this tune for the stepdancing at Diss. Was very tempted to start singing!

Offline crossstitchgill

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, April 16 2013 05:13PM GMT-1 »
I found the two books of Children's Games collected by Alice Gomme on Project Gutenberg so have downloaded them onto my Ereader. I will eventually get round to reading them some time. I have so many old free ebooks to catch up on!

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #23 on: Friday, April 19 2013 07:41AM GMT-1 »
Nobody been to any shows this week?
Here's a video from Uffington
http://backyardsongs.tumblr.com/post/48274203315/heres-a-video-taken-out-on-uffington-village

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
« Reply #24 on: Friday, April 19 2013 07:15PM GMT-1 »
Nobody been to any shows this week?
Here's a video from Uffington
http://backyardsongs.tumblr.com/post/48274203315/heres-a-video-taken-out-on-uffington-village

We completely failed to EVEN REMEMBER they were on 'up the road'. Think we'll be going to C# if grandparents can come and boy-sit.
We can't go over it, we can't go under it....

Offline Clare

« Reply #25 on: Saturday, April 20 2013 11:00AM GMT-1 »
Ok - we went to two but not had time to update you all until now. Sorry :)

Thursday - Shrewsbury
Quite a subdued audience but I know they loved it because I overheard the comments on the way out.
Lots of lovely Shropshire tunes of course so we were treated to
Shropshire Rounds/Rusty Gully/Three-footed Chestnut
Oswestry Wake
Three Tunes (as Dennis Crowther was a local fiddler)

plus we had
Shropshire Lass/ Shrewsbury Rakes
Lord Bateman- tune collected locally.

Friday night - Ellesmere Port
Strange venue. Was confused at first as the Folk Club has changed venues and the gig took place in a huge ballroom type hall with a proper dance floor. Rather oddly the caberet seating started halfway from the front. However, this did leave a huge space for dancing in front - and people did so that was great. Much noisier crowd - and we got two encores!
The 'local' items were:
Roll Alabama Roll (the Shipbuilder John Laird was local)
'Prentice Boy  which Jon sang solo rather tenuous link but linked to Ellesmere - but lovely to hear it
Cheshire Hornpipe
Also Cheshire Waltz

The sound was excellent both nights

« Last Edit: Saturday, April 20 2013 11:25AM GMT-1 by Clare »

Offline Vivienne

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, April 24 2013 10:03AM GMT-1 »
Nice to see lots of the gang at the Stables last night.

Support was provided by Stony Mummers.  Local stuff was a canal shanty version of Poor Old Horse and 2 tunes whose names I can't remember, one collected by John Clare and the other from Hinton in the Hedges.  Jon introduced the encore, NYG, as a local song and referred to Towcester Girls, but unfortunately didn't actually sing that!

Offline DawnG

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, April 24 2013 11:08AM GMT-1 »
Can't remember the first one , the second one was Shooting.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, April 24 2013 12:27PM GMT-1 »
Anyone know if Reading tonight is seated or standing? Am exhausted, so for once would prefer the former...!
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, April 24 2013 01:13PM GMT-1 »
The Stables was seated, and although we were told twice that we could dance. nobody did - even in the side balcony bits, and not even for Haul Away or Sloe Gin.  Very disappointing.  I'm sure if a couple of people had got up, others would, but nobody did - even any of us, which I'm sorry about.  Even so, my back aches as if I was dancing all night  ::) .  There was plenty of chair dancing though, and enthusiastic singing from me at least.  I could hear the person on the other side of Anna humming, but couldn't hear myself!  How do you learn to project?  Not that it would be a good thing in my case!