Author Topic: Some sad news  (Read 21947 times)

Offline Squeezy

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • melodeon & concertina
    • Spiers & Boden main site
Some sad news
« on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 06:59PM GMT-1 »
I know that this will come as a bit of a shock to everyone here - and I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but as the webmaster here on the forum I know just how much the band means to everyone and how much support you've all given us over the years so it's only fair that you hear this direct from the horse's mouth rather than through some kind of dry press release.

Shortly after the last tour, Jon Boden felt that it was time for him to leave the band.  Despite several weeks of difficult discussion where we looked at all the possible options (sharing the songs out between the other members, getting a new lead singer, performing purely instrumental sets etc.) we have come to the conclusion that without Jon's trademark voice at the front of the band it simply would not be Bellowhead as we know it.  As a result, we have decided that the forthcoming tours in November and April 2016 will be our last as a band and our final show will be on May 1st 2016 at Oxford Town Hall where it all started.

I must point out that this is by no means an acrimonious split - more a parting of the ways.  The band are as close together in our decision making as we have ever been and it's not a decision we took lightly.  It is something that was probably inevitable at some point in time given the huge unwieldy nature of such a large collective band and we realise that this decision will make some people very unhappy indeed.  Indeed we're very sad about it too but I hope you can understand our decision and support any future musical projects that involve members of Bellowhead (which I'm sure will emerge in time!)

So there you have it - the dates for the final tours will be over on the Bellowhead website shortly.  I expect you can guess now why the announcement of dates has been delayed somewhat!  All that remains is for me, on behalf of the band, to thank you, dear Forumites, from the bottom of our hearts, for dedicating so much of your time and energy to the band.  You've stuck with us right from the beginning in a time without Twitter and Facebook - when everyone told us that you can't take a massive 11 piece folk band on the road ... we proved them wrong but I have a hunch that if it were not for you unbelievably dedicated and generous fans that it may never have taken off in the way that it did.

So thank you for taking the time to read this - we'll see you down the road.

Cheers

Squeezy

Offline AnnieD

Re: Some sad news
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 07:07PM GMT-1 »
Just heard this on The Folk Show. I can fully understand why it's happened, but still sad. We'll definitely make sure we're there at Oxford Town Hall.
Wishing you all success in your other projects.

Hope we see more of your solo work, John x

Offline DawnG

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 07:12PM GMT-1 »
Thank you for all the music you've given us x

Offline Stephenw

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 07:24PM GMT-1 »
It's sad news but thanks for coming here and telling us personally, Squeezy. It's much appreciated.

I found my way into English folk because of Bellowhead, so the band will always have a special place in my heart. I've met some lovely people along the way and made some fantastic friends, all of which wouldn't have happened without BH.

Thank you!
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it." But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.

Offline Nels58

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 07:28PM GMT-1 »
Thank you Squeezy for the post, very, very sad news.  To the exclamation of 'oh no' , daughter no 2 came running into the room wanting to know what had happened.  Bellowhead has give many, many people such joy, and have given our granddaughter a love of music.

Offline maureen

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 07:38PM GMT-1 »
Thanks for letting us know Squeezy. Wish I'd read this before listening to Mark Radcliffe - had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't 1 April. Very, very sad news - but of course we'll all continue to support all members of the band in future projects.

"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline Vivienne

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 07:46PM GMT-1 »
Oh no! What will we all do now?   Must try and make sure we can get to Oxford in 2016, we were at the very first one!
(and I've just noticed that we're going to be away when they go on sale, hope there'll be some left when we get back!)
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 3 2015 07:50PM GMT-1 by Vivienne »

Offline Anna

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 07:53PM GMT-1 »
Sad news indeed. It must have been an incredibly difficult decision for Jon. Thank you for telling us, Squeezy. I suppose it was inevitably going to cone to an end one day, and better now than let it go stale and wait for people to fall out! The music, gigs and forum have made a genuine difference to my life and I can't thank the band (and you, Mark!) enough for all of it. Best of luck with whatever the future holds xxx
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline Milady

• Has a Concertina, Melodeon and Fiddle
    • ladydetemps youtube
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 07:57PM GMT-1 »
Its sad news. If it hadn't been for bellowhead i'd have never taken up concertina/melodeon and discovered the folk world or met lovely forumites.
"Lovely band...they play music and everything..."
My Blog http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Alycat

• Discworld Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 07:58PM GMT-1 »
I'm having an awful week anyway, so this is just the icing on the cake.
Squeezy - thanks for letting us know
Rest of the band - thanks for providing me (and others) with a lot of joy
Jon - whilst part of me is very tempted to kick you, I'm sure you don't make decisions like this lightly.
='-'=

Offline mab

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 09:00PM GMT-1 »
Very sad to hear this but hope it gives you all time to go on and do other fantastic things. It's been great fun at each and every gig.

Sooo, party Mayday 2016?
The Campaign for Wheelchair Access (One of the Daleks' subltler invasion plans...)

Offline Anna

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 09:21PM GMT-1 »

Sooo, party Mayday 2016?

Abso-blimmin-lutely! I'll start hoarding glitter...
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline mab

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 09:31PM GMT-1 »

Sooo, party Mayday 2016?

Abso-blimmin-lutely! I'll start hoarding glitter...

I think I may still have some in my hair from their last New Year do :-[
The Campaign for Wheelchair Access (One of the Daleks' subltler invasion plans...)

Offline LegalLorna

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 11:27PM GMT-1 »
All I can say is Mayday 2016 is going to be one hell of a party!!!

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 3 2015 11:32PM GMT-1 »
I was at the folk club when someone came and told me, so I read the email on his phone.  What are we going to do with all the spare money we'll have?

Thank you, Bellowhead and Mark, for 11 fantastic years.  Without you I'd still have a back that works but I'd be a less happy person.  It's been terrific, and I can't wait to see what happens to you all in the future.  But first, I've got a party to get ready for!