Author Topic: Some sad news  (Read 27313 times)

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
Re: Some sad news
« Reply #270 on: Monday, May 2 2016 07:11PM GMT-1 »
I lost count of how many people I hugged and cried on. An amazing evening.Bellowhead went out in style!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 3 2016 01:12PM GMT-1 by Shelley »
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Squeezy

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • melodeon & concertina
    • Spiers & Boden main site
« Reply #271 on: Monday, May 2 2016 10:12PM GMT-1 »
Since finding the purple knickers "someone" threw at me on top of my concertina .... any thoughts of tears were lost ... and the general absurdity of the whole Bellowhead project took over ... which only really made me smile!!!

A massive thank you to all the stalwarts of the message board who have been the backbone of support for us throughout the years ... it made me very happy to have a huge number of you at the last gig and I could see every one of your faces in the setting of the Town Hall.

An even massiver (I know that's not a word) thank you to everyone who contributed to and produced the amazing book and card that we were all given.  I knew you lot were dedicated, but that was seriously special ... and it seems to have been put together with all the same fondness and humour that the band have always approached the live gigs.  Music at this level is definitely a two-way thing.  It has been making me smile like a lunatic every time I look at it!!!   :D :D :D

Offline maureen

« Reply #272 on: Monday, May 2 2016 11:20PM GMT-1 »
So glad you like the book Squeezy!

Last night was brilliant, although very sad. Still can't believe that that was the last time we'll see you live.

It was lovely to see so many forumites there and to have so many hugs.

Thanks again to Mark for making sure we all got tickets!
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline Nels58

« Reply #273 on: Monday, May 2 2016 11:31PM GMT-1 »
Agree Maureen, thank you Mark.  Hubby is still trying to cope with no more Bellowhead live and West Ham leaving the Boleyn all in the same year then to top that granddaughter asked today when she could come and see Bellowhead play their instruments arggh...... Did want to take her to Folk by the Oak last year but was not allowed as Bellowhead were on too late for it to be agreed. Oh well guess it will be you tube for her, thanks to everyone who has put up videos on there. ????

Offline Barbara

« Reply #274 on: Monday, May 2 2016 11:33PM GMT-1 »
The book Is amazing, we have something to remind us of all the good times, memories to look back on and cherish, the friends that we have made over the years, ties that will not be broken, you have all changed my life, I feel priveliged to have been part of it,
Thank-you all xxx
'Tis a rather nice addiction

Offline Alycat

• Discworld Sergeant
« Reply #275 on: Monday, May 2 2016 11:33PM GMT-1 »
Sad I couldn't be at the final gig (Birmingham was ace though)
='-'=

Offline Stephenw

« Reply #276 on: Monday, May 2 2016 11:43PM GMT-1 »
It was a brilliant night and a fantastic finish to 12 years of wonderful music.

For me, personally, it was fantastic to be back in Oxford as I attended my first ever folk festival there in 2006. I can't believe ten years has gone by so quickly.

I'm so glad you like the book, Squeezy. I read my copy last night whilst drinking coffee in the Wheatley Travelodge. It's a lovely thing and I think captures the spirit of both band and fans well. I don't think that I'll ever see another band that could combine serious musicianship with silliness like Bellowhead.

'Let union be...'
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it." But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.

Offline Ancient Muse

« Reply #277 on: Tuesday, May 3 2016 02:32AM GMT-1 »
I'm so glad the effort that went into creating the book was appreciated by all, so much love went into it.

Thank you, Squeezy, Jon, Andy,  Benji, Brendan, Justin, Ed, Rachael, Sam, Paul and not forgetting Pete, the one whose brilliant percussion keeps the beat tight, together and exciting. You have brought so much joy to our lives over the last twelve years. I don't know how I would have coped with the last year, losing the job I loved, without music to help me through. The sheer exuberance of your playing and the energy you guys have is amazing - I wish I could bottle it. I know you put the same energy into everything you do, so I can't wait to hear what else you come up with. Good luck and my love and very best wishes to you all for the future.

Let's look forward to the future projects of each member of the band now.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #278 on: Tuesday, May 3 2016 09:45AM GMT-1 »
For me, personally, it was fantastic to be back in Oxford as I attended my first ever folk festival there in 2006. I can't believe ten years has gone by so quickly.

Snap - it was perfect to end at a venue that I so strongly associate with Bellowhead and those early mad years when I was first discovering folk music. It was magical to be there in a small venue, with every single person there wanting to make the night special. And huge thanks to Mark as well of course, for making sure we were all able to be there to celebrate with you. Absolutely glorious. Thanks chaps, and although I'll miss your joyous cacophony, I'm looking forward to all those new projects you'll all be hatching in years to come.  :aemo_spibod_wave: :aemo_spibod_wave:

P.s. Extra thanks for having the last hurrah to the week before my wedding and not the week after! I would have been distraught  :o
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #279 on: Tuesday, May 3 2016 10:47AM GMT-1 »
It really was a very special night to round off a lovely 12 years.  There won't be anything else to fill the void - that mix of instruments, voices, fun and continuity.  I wish I could have got my thoughts down on paper to add to the book but I couldn't.

I've had a horrible year and Bellowhead going has helped me through while adding to the horribleness.  Thank you all - band and fans.  And a special thank you to Mark for everything you've done.

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #280 on: Tuesday, May 3 2016 11:50AM GMT-1 »
Squeezy, that was a lovely message. Sorry we couldn't be there for the last show, but have memories of very many special nights over the years. Festival shows on a big stage were always amazing, but also small venues had an intimacy. And the New Years Eve parties   :aemo_sdnce:   And the album launches.  :aemo_sdnce:
Thank you all for the music, and for bringing us all together. Have met some lovely people and hopefully we'll carry on meeting them here and there. And special thanks to Mark for everything.

And all of the band - please carry on doing what you do, in different guises. Wishing you all success and happiness xxx

Offline Vivienne

« Reply #281 on: Tuesday, May 3 2016 12:27PM GMT-1 »
Thank you for 12 amazing years and all the friends we've made along the way.

I'm not sure my legs will ever be the same after the last night!  Looking forward to the book - and hoping the forum continues! - to that end I will be adding some upcoming gigs for May!

Offline Anna

« Reply #282 on: Tuesday, May 3 2016 01:40PM GMT-1 »
I'm really glad you like the book and card  :)

I haven't really got anything that hasn't already been said, but enormous thanks for everything. The last gig was really special, and I'm so glad to have been there (thank you, Mark!). Although there is now a big gap in my life, I look forward to seeing what happens next.

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline pemsey1

« Reply #283 on: Tuesday, May 3 2016 02:41PM GMT-1 »
Can't add anything that hasn't already been said. We were relative (2010) latecomers to the Bellowhead Behemoth but have had a lovely time following the band round, met some lovely people and been to some places we probably wouldn't have been to otherwise. You also as a band inspired Emily to take music a bit further. Who knows,in the future we might all cross paths at a festival somewhere when she's on the bill!
All the best to everyone - onward!

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #284 on: Tuesday, May 3 2016 05:32PM GMT-1 »
Since finding the purple knickers "someone" threw at me on top of my concertina .... any thoughts of tears were lost ... and the general absurdity of the whole Bellowhead project took over ... which only really made me smile!!!

I'm quite surprised you weren't all showered with undergarments on Sunday!

What a lovely post Squeezy, you've managed to make me smiley and weepy at the same time!  All the best for the future and I look forward to seeing what the individual members of Bellowhead will do next.
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival