Author Topic: Eating things!  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Anna

Eating things!
« on: Wednesday, July 22 2015 02:48PM GMT-1 »
As I was asked for a recipe, I thought I'd just put it up for anyone to have a look at. I used a basic muffin recipe, and added what I thought would be a good idea. Turned out I was right  ;D

Raspberry and white chocolate muffins

Makes 12 full-sized or about 60 mini muffins

315g (10oz) plain flour
250g (8oz) caster sugar
1tbsp baking powder
60g (2oz) butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
60ml (2fl oz) sunflower oil
180ml (6fl oz) milk
100g raspberries*
100g white chocolate chunks

-Preheat oven to 180C/Gas Mk 4.
-Grease or fit paper liners to muffin tins.
-Sift flour, sugar and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
-In a smaller bowl, beat butter, eggs, oil and milk together until blended.
-Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. the mixture should be slightly lumpy.
-Gently fold in the raspberries and white chocolate.
-Fill each cup 3/4 full.
-Bake for 15 minutes for mini-muffins or 20-25 minutes for full sized, or until a skewer comes out clean.
-Cool slightly in the tins before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.

*I used raspberries from the allotment, froze them and broke them into small pieces while frozen, then let them thaw while I was making the muffins. If I was doing big muffins I would probably have used 150g and left them whole. I probably would have used 150 chocolate, too.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
Re: Eating things!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 22 2015 02:52PM GMT-1 »
Thanks Anna! I've always liked the idea of a recipe exchange :)

Whilst on the topic of eating, can anyone tell me what you are supposed to do to courgette flowers to make them edible? I recall being told fry with butter once, but they just tasted like, well, flowers fried with butter! (i.e. a bit weird!).
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Barbara

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, July 22 2015 05:32PM GMT-1 »
I think you are meant to dip them in batter & then fry them.

Thanks for the recipe Anna, they sound delicious, clever idea freezing the fruit to make it easier to break them up, must remember that!
'Tis a rather nice addiction

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, July 22 2015 05:49PM GMT-1 »
Glad they were a success! 

I think you're meant to stuff courgette flowers before battering and frying, but I don't know what with as I've never done/had them.  Hope that helps!

Offline Anna

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, July 22 2015 05:52PM GMT-1 »
I've seen recipes where you stuff courgette flowers with risotto and deep fry them, but I'm not sure how you'd prevent leakage, and deep frying makes me nervous, so I don't do it! I think they just taste like fried flowers, too.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 4 2015 10:40AM GMT-1 »
Mmm, well I can highly recommend Anna's muffin recipe - I made them last night and they are delicious! Unfortunately our raspberries an white chocolate ran short, so I topped up with blackberries and milk chocolate, which I'm not sure I would recommend anyone else do, but they are perfectly edible, just slightly strangely flavoured!  :)

And thankyou, Anna, for making me realise than muffins are not at all difficult to bake! (don't think that knowledge will do my waistline any good  :D).

Offline Anna

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 4 2015 06:29PM GMT-1 »
I'm glad you liked them  :) I'm now wondering what other fruit and chocolate combinations might work!

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 30 2016 12:12PM GMT-1 »
Another update to say that I've now made 3 batches of Anna's (full size) muffins with this year's raspberries from the garden, and my work colleagues are obsessed with them! The highest of praise :) I think freezing the raspberries whole works quite well, as it stops them disintegrating too early on.

Now we're on to apple season - not too many on the old tree, but the Bramley is fruiting for the first time :) I found a lovely mini apple pie recipe last year, gorgeous pastry:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2856669/individual-apple-pies

I use snowflake pastry cutter, which fit perfectly in my mini pie dish  :D

Also have a Doreset apple cake in mind for this weekend - see here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/dorset-apple-cake. Will update once I've given the recipe a go...