Author Topic: Pete...  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Betty slippers

• Dance, dance, dance, weird, weird, weird, dance
Pete...
« on: Wednesday, February 6 2008 12:15AM GMT-1 »
You can probably tell that Firebird and I have been talking a bit too much about the band tonight from the various posts... one last thing just occurred to me - Pete should have a bodhran! He's got frying pans and clockwork toys, but no exciting Irish drum thing! We realised that is seems to be only used in traditional music - anyone seen one being played in 'modern folk'?  ???
If it hadn'a been for Flash Company...

Offline Ancient Muse

Re: Pete...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 6 2008 01:08AM GMT-1 »
Best bodhranist (OK what IS the correct term?) I have ever seen is the lovely John Joe Kelly in Flook.
But while we are at it - why not a doumbek or a cajon? no, I think Pete does just fine as he is, playing his tiny drum kit and half the kitchen!

Offline Nick

• Talkawhile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 6 2008 12:09PM GMT-1 »
You can probably describe Seth Lakeman as 'modern folk', and yerr man Cormac uses one doesn't he?

Anyway, aren't Bodhrans a bit passe these days? I though everyone played Cajons...  ;)

Cheers

Nick
The collective noun for a group of hermits? ... a failure

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 6 2008 01:21PM GMT-1 »

Anyway, aren't Bodhrans a bit passe these days?

Never! Wonderful instrument - love it. Mind you I've yet to hear a cajon. Bring it on Pete. 8)
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Offline cazzer

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 6 2008 01:35PM GMT-1 »
You can probably describe Seth Lakeman as 'modern folk', and yerr man Cormac uses one doesn't he?

Anyway, aren't Bodhrans a bit passe these days? I though everyone played Cajons...  ;)

Cheers

Nick

Last time I saw Seth [which I do a lot  ;)] there was not only Cormac but some other chap playing the bodhran.    Not as good as Cormac though

Offline pete flood

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 6 2008 03:11PM GMT-1 »
Well now, since you ask,

I don't play Bodhran - much as I admire players like Cormac, John Joe Kelly and Lucy Randall - having spent most of my life as a musician trying to get all four limbs to work in harmony, the idea of giving up my left hand to hold the darn instrument fills me with horror! Actually - I've tried a few times and am completely crap at it  :-\

I do play cajon, darbuka, udu, tar, marimba as well as all kinds of homemade nameless junk. Not with Bellowhead though - no room left in the car  ;).

P

Offline Betty slippers

• Dance, dance, dance, weird, weird, weird, dance
« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 8 2008 07:13PM GMT-1 »
having spent most of my life as a musician trying to get all four limbs to work in harmony, the idea of giving up my left hand to hold the darn instrument fills me with horror! Actually - I've tried a few times and am completely crap at it  :-\

Teehee! Thanks Pete :)
If it hadn'a been for Flash Company...