Author Topic: Bellowhead LIVE  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
Re: Bellowhead LIVE
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, April 10 2016 02:38PM GMT-1 »
Listened to the CDs driving back from Newcastle. Just about managed not to cry - just as well as it was snowing on the M62. Watched the DVD yesterday evening. Absolutely fabulous.
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #16 on: Monday, April 11 2016 02:51PM GMT-1 »
It's arrived! Should cheer up an otherwise pretty boring afternoon at work  :)
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Nick

• Talkawhile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, April 12 2016 03:24PM GMT-1 »
Were the DVD and CDs sourced from the same concert(s)? They have a very different running order and some differences in the track selection. Also to my ears the audio sounds slightly different between the two.

Cheers

Nick
The collective noun for a group of hermits? ... a failure

Offline Barbara

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, April 12 2016 05:42PM GMT-1 »
I think the live cd was recorded from several shows, the DVD was filmed at the Leicester show, I'm on there several times!
'Tis a rather nice addiction

Offline Stephenw

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, April 13 2016 07:33PM GMT-1 »
I messaged Andy Bell about the audio tracks. . Andy chose the best performance of each piece from recordings taken throughout the tour. He said that only around 4 of the tracks on the CD are taken from Leicester.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it." But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.

Offline Nick

• Talkawhile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, April 14 2016 01:37PM GMT-1 »
Ah, ok. Thanks for that!

Actually, I prefer the audio from the DVD rather than the CDs at the moment. There's a flow to it coming from the applause and between-song chat that the CD versions don't have. The fade-outs between tracks on the CDs give it the feeling of a collection of live performances rather than a single live event. Nice to have both of them I guess.

Also, really good to finally have a recording of Down Where The Drunkards Roll! I remember this from their earliest gigs - particularly Sidmouth in the dance marquee up on the hill - and have badgered various band members over the years to try and get them to record it.  Very glad they have, albeit at the very last possible moment!

Cheers

Nick
The collective noun for a group of hermits? ... a failure

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, April 26 2016 08:32PM GMT-1 »
I still haven't watched the DVD (no time!), but I have been listening to the 2 CDs, and I really like that it really captures everything that's happening in the live performance. Normally the colume is so high at a live gig that to be honest the sound is pretty distorted by the time it's got through my ears, so it's really nice to be able to appreciate all that live musicianship at a volume that isn't damaging my hearing! And I'm pleased to report that the live CD very nearly has all the health benefits that a live gig brings (a grin to the face, dancing to the feet and jiggling to everything else). An excellent CD to finish on.
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump