Author Topic: Gardeners Question time  (Read 979 times)

Offline Barbara

Gardeners Question time
« on: Sunday, June 12 2016 06:04PM GMT-1 »
Now this should be great fun, there is going to be a gardeners question time at Folk East this year, hosted by no other than our own favourite allotment owner, how to grow Giant Onions being the main subject!!
'Tis a rather nice addiction

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
Re: Gardeners Question time
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 12 2016 08:12PM GMT-1 »
Now if it was 'how to stop bloomin' slugs eating my flowers adn veggies' i'd be more interested, but I don't think there's any better answer to that than going out and hunting them on a humid evening at dusk...  >:(
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 12 2016 09:49PM GMT-1 »
What do you do with them when you catch them? I hate them but I also hate killing things.

Offline maureen

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 12 2016 10:22PM GMT-1 »
Me too, Annie. I've just given up growing anything that the slugs eat - and try to attract plenty of birds to eat them!
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline Barbara

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 12 2016 10:26PM GMT-1 »
We will have to ask our Squeezy gardener what he does with them!

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 13 2016 08:57AM GMT-1 »
Nemotodes.  They look like dust, you mix them with water then dilute it a bit in a watering can and just water the garden and hery presto - no more slugs.  We've still got snails but I don't mind them so much.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 13 2016 12:31PM GMT-1 »
Tried nemotodes last year - no luck, so didn't bother this year. Also, our garden is huge! If I only grew what slugs didn't eat, I would have about 2 varieties of flowers and no veggies... was suprised to find them eating my still-potted thyme the other day. For some reason I thought they might dislike herbs, but apparently not.

Anne, I'm afraid I go straight for the salt. Revolting, but it works a treat, and I have no sympathy left for them. If I killed every slug in my garden I wouldn't have made a dent in the population in the local area! I'm also intending to try beer traps when I put my next lot of sweet peas out.

Interestingly enough, I'm growing onions for the first time this year - was pleasantly suprised to see the spikes quite far out of the ground now! Here's hoping they are giant ones  :D

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 13 2016 03:42PM GMT-1 »
If you've got an open fire, they run away from soot, I think. 

I heard on the radio that there's going to be a slug population explosion, thanks to the wet summer and mild winter.  They didn't hibernate or die (or whatever they ought to do) and got up to no good instead so it's best to start early, whatever your method.  Mum insists on using slug pellets even though I lecture her at regular intervals, and while insisting that she loves hedgehogs and birds, she still spreads the pellets far and wide.   >:(

We last used nemotodes about 5 years ago and we still have hardly any - although the back garden is probably a lot worse than your "before", Ellie, so they could be anywhere.

Offline Barbara

« Reply #8 on: Monday, June 13 2016 07:16PM GMT-1 »
I've tried spent coffee grounds, it seems to work but could only put around 'special' plants as you need so much of it, husband would be climbing the walls if I asked him to drink so much espresso!

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #9 on: Monday, June 13 2016 09:18PM GMT-1 »
The copper tape works well for plants in pots - e.g. my Hosta. If I put that in the garden it would be eaten within days!

Offline Barbara

« Reply #10 on: Monday, June 13 2016 10:38PM GMT-1 »
I put copper tape along the top of the raised beds, it works as long as there aren't any slugs already on the beds, otherwise they can't get off! It's great around the tomato pots as well.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, June 14 2016 11:09AM GMT-1 »
I've tried spent coffee grounds, it seems to work but could only put around 'special' plants as you need so much of it, husband would be climbing the walls if I asked him to drink so much espresso!

Ah yes - tried that! We could get free bags from the coffee shop at work - it was good for the soil texture, but I can't stand the smell of coffee while it's on top of the soil  :(

We don't have any raised beds yet (too many other things to spend money on!), and nearly all the plants are in beds, not pots, so copper tape not an option.

Did another dusk patrol when I got home from tennis last night, and caught 5 enormous slugs heading for an evening feast of my tomatoes in the greenhouse  >:( Perhaps I need to try the coffee grounds again...

Offline Clare

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, June 16 2016 11:56AM GMT-1 »
I collect them up and throw them across the stream into England!

Offline Barbara

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, June 16 2016 04:17PM GMT-1 »
Thanks for that Clare!  :D