Author Topic: So how did YOU get into Spiers and Boden?  (Read 35363 times)

Offline Gower Flower

So how did YOU get into Spiers and Boden?
« on: Thursday, November 22 2007 12:54AM GMT-1 »
I first saw John and Jon at the Gower Festival* in 2005.

I enjoyed their lively set very much so when I heard about Bellowhead, I reasoned that they must be worth seeing if J and J were involved.

At the Oxford Festival 2006 I had my first encounter with Bellowhead. Dear reader, I was insufficiently prepared... :o

Although I had heard some clips of their music, Old Tom of Oxford, Rigs of The Times possibly- I was in ill-prepared for the event that is Bellowhead. :P

I have to confess dear reader (and please be kind) that I actually left the Town Hall in Oxford half way through the gig. It was cacophony. I understand and appreciate now, of course, that  it is cacophony of the first and highest order ;D

In my defence, I was sitting down. Everyone knows that one should be standing at a Bellowhead gig. 8)

Suffice to say that my second experience of Bellowhead (at Pontardawe) was a huge success, and I had the most amazingly enjoyable time. I was converted at last. ;D

So how about you? Please share your J&J/Bellowhead moments of truth with me.

*Yes folks, they named it after me.
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Sir Robert Peel

Re: So how did YOU get into Spiers and Boden?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 01:05AM GMT-1 »
..... on Mikey Hardy's marvellous show, of course.  Where else? 

My ear-trumpet twitched into life when my chum described the chaps as coming from Oxfordshire.  It rang a bell.  Then I remembered - I'd been born and I'd lived there for most of my life.

Peel Tower shook to it's foundations as Mikey played Rambling Sailor - I'd never heard the likes of it in all my days and I determined to buy the gramophone record toute suite, if not sooner.  And so I did.

I scoured the enternit and found that they were to appear (and this is the bit I'm reluctant to talk about) in **whisper** Yorkshire.  Oh lummy!  Hebden Bridge or Heptonstall or one of those towns with a heb in it.  I forget.  It meant a treacherous journey over the tops of moors, avoiding sheep in the road and anyone who looked like a Demon Barber.  Ghastly!

If I thought the gramophone record was good, the live act was indescribable.  In a good way, reader,  in a good way - I'm just lost for adjectives, bear with me.

And with that, I became what I am today - a Spiers and Boden devotee.  A SpiBod.

May I ask how you first came into contact with the music of Oxfordshire's finest troubadours?   

Thanks awfully.

Offline Bridgwit

• I must change that photo ....
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 01:09AM GMT-1 »
What a fine message board!

I first heard of Bellowhead on the Talkawhile message board, I must say they're a bit like Marmite but luckily, most people I know love them! :)

I watched them on Later ... with Jools Holland but I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Like Gower Flower, I wasn't too keen. Then I borrowed Burlesque from my sister and listened to it properly. Within a few tracks I was hooked. I then saw them at Pontardawe, which I can honestly say was one of the best live concerts I've ever seen, and have since seen them at Bristol. I can't wait for their mini-Welsh tour next year when I plan to see them at least once if not more!  :o

When I saw Jon and John would be in Cardiff I had to go (I had bought Bellow at Bristol and played it rather a lot. OK, so I played it over and over) and I thought they were brilliant.

One thing leads to another and I'm now planning my festivals for next year around the Bellows and S&B  ....  8)
Buying online?

Log onto www.i4cm.com and help cancer charities. Costs you nothing, but one day it could help save a life. Thanks!

Sir Robert Peel

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 01:11AM GMT-1 »
Funny you should mention it, Flower.  I think I've started an almost identical topic.

Where's the Emergency Moderating Team?    Calling the Emergency Moderator.  :o

Heck! I'll have to send a 'blues and twos' car for him or her. Don't panic.

I told you to stick to orange squash and now look what you've done, GF!

My sincere apologies everyone.  :-[

Offline Bridgwit

• I must change that photo ....
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 01:12AM GMT-1 »
A SpiBod.

I like it, Sir Bob! I like it a lot  ;D

Buying online?

Log onto www.i4cm.com and help cancer charities. Costs you nothing, but one day it could help save a life. Thanks!

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 09:11AM GMT-1 »
Indeed you have Sir Bob, and although I beat you to it was first past the post, I bow to your seniority! ::)

My, you are looking well for a man of your years...

Mods..! MODS!!! 8)
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Offline firehazard

• All in his tarry trews
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 09:18AM GMT-1 »
I first heard J&J at the Cambridge Folk Festival a few years back. Can't remember exactly which year it was now. Maybe somebody will be able to tell me.

And the Cambridge Folk Fest was also the first place that I heard Bellowhead, the first time they played there a few years ago. Life has never been the same since...

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 11:26AM GMT-1 »

At The Zodiac, Cowley Road, a few years back (before it became Carling Academy - hence I shall never set foot there again, probably. Except in exceptional circumstances).

I went to see Eliza Carthy and band (they weren't Ratcatchers then). Anglicana had just come out, she was playing the smaller slightly seedy room (oh, it was just what a room gigs are held in should be!).

The two things I remember from that night are Eliza fiddling with her outfit in the loos asking if her skirt looked alright, and Spiers and Boden doing a short set, just the two of them. Brilliant! Oh, and it was also the night I decided I had to get a melodeon... ;D
We can't go over it, we can't go under it....

Offline cazzer

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 12:18PM GMT-1 »
Well heard of Bellowhead due to Jools Holland [although didn't see programme].    Bought Burlesque on a whim and loved it.    Insisted to Music festival Photos that he took me to Pontardawe.    MFP had been somewhat unsure of the CD but after seeing them live he too was converted.     The rest was history.   

So hadn't actually heard that Spiers and Boden existed as a duo until after I had seen Bellowhead [or that they were Ratcatchers either].    We were really surprised turning up in Oxford to see Eliza when they both appeared on stage.   (We had seen Eliza several times before but always without the Ratcatchers)

Bought some Cd's.    Did n't get to see them live though until a few weeks ago at the Red Lion Folk Club in Birmingham.     

Offline cazzer

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 12:26PM GMT-1 »
I had replied on Sir Bob's thread, as i saw that first

seems a few of us saw them at Pontardawe for the first time this year.    Agree it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen.   Bridgwit we are planning a little tour of Wales ourselves next year.   

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, November 22 2007 04:59PM GMT-1 »
I first heard J&J at the Cambridge Folk Festival a few years back. Can't remember exactly which year it was now. Maybe somebody will be able to tell me.

Me too, they played as unknowns in a Club tent showcase. Can't remember the year, but have seen them every chance since.   ;D

Offline Ancient Muse

« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 23 2007 01:31AM GMT-1 »
Well, it was Bellowhead first ... saw that they were nominated for a Hancock award and wanted to hear something they had done before casting my vote. Went to the website, heard a couple of the tracks, totally blown away by the obvious enthusiasm and theatricality of it all - a glorious cacophony! (Needless to say, they got my vote!)

Within a few weeks I had seen them live at Pontardawe - dancing right at the front (yes! You CAN belly-dance to Bellowhead - it's now called bellow-dancing!). I was intrigued to see that all the guys play in a number of other combos - delighted to see Pete Flood in Cardiff with Tim van Eyken - what an exceptionally talented percussionist he is! - which is when we found out that Spiers & Boden would be in Cardiff in November. Tickets bought! Top evening!

I hope you guys never tire of what you do - it must be the best job in the world to do something so well that gives so many people so much pleasure and is obviously great fun for you too - and you get paid!

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 23 2007 08:26AM GMT-1 »
First time I saw them was at Bury Met - last month in fact (I think!) - just 2 weeks after a fab Bellowhead gig at Manchester Academy.  It was a fabulous evening and even with only 2 chaps on stage there was plenty of energy and "oomph".  We were in tiered seats unfortunately so could only manage chair dancing.  I only bought one CD as the others had sold out.
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #13 on: Friday, November 23 2007 10:38AM GMT-1 »
yes! You CAN belly-dance to Bellowhead - it's now called bellow-dancing!).

Oooh, you mean I'm not the only bellydancer on here? :D My housemate said it was just plain wrong when she caught me dancing away to Bellowhead with my coin belt on. But it's fun, so do I care? :P

Umm, yes, back to the question. Spiers and Boden. Well, through Bellowhead, whom we first saw at Cambridge folk fest this year. Then we found out they were touring, so we went to Nettlebed. And enjoyed that so much that we went to Oxford the following week as well. Which was amazing, as ever. Had slight worries that perhaps I was expecting too much, coming to them from Bellowhead, but they blew away all expectations - I still find it amazing how much energy and presence they have on stage - wow!

And now next summer's festival plans are starting to form around the boys and Bellowhead...
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline cazzer

« Reply #14 on: Friday, November 23 2007 11:52AM GMT-1 »
And now next summer's festival plans are starting to form around the boys and Bellowhead...

ours too!!!!