Author Topic: So how did YOU get into Spiers and Boden?  (Read 35403 times)

Offline Nick

• Talkawhile
Re: So how did YOU get into Spiers and Boden?
« Reply #15 on: Friday, November 23 2007 06:55PM GMT-1 »
Not sure when I first heard them. I know I saw them a couple of times with Eliza at the Zodiac - the first time they were introduced in the middle of Eliza's set and played a couple of their own tunes. (The second time there they played a set just after the interval, during which Eliza tidied up the merch stand and carefully swept up all the CD wrappers - impressive stuff for a Mercury nominated headline act! ;D )

I also remember seeing them at a warm-up for the first Oxford Folk Festival, down in the Cellar Bar. Jon on the stomp box was so close to banging his head on the ceiling :o

So I can't remember if it was Eliza or the Cellar which came first  :-\

Cheers

Nick
The collective noun for a group of hermits? ... a failure

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, November 24 2007 12:41AM GMT-1 »
I only went to see them live because I love Bellowhead so much (saw them the first time there were on the Folk Awards a few years ago and they hit me right between the eyes).  Great as a duo or as part of the big band.  I'm hooked.
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Ollie

• I Morris, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, November 24 2007 01:06AM GMT-1 »
Um, er, well, I , er, haven't yet, as such.  ::) I don't have any of their records and have never seen them live, but I plan to get a CD for Christmas (ooo - I can say that on here  ;)) and work from there. I really need to get into more 'cool' folk for someone of my age, as 85% of my CD collection is from before 1980!
"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #18 on: Saturday, November 24 2007 01:39PM GMT-1 »
Um, er, well, I , er, haven't yet, as such.  ::) I don't have any of their records and have never seen them live, but I plan to get a CD for Christmas (ooo - I can say that on here  ;)) and work from there. I really need to get into more 'cool' folk for someone of my age, as 85% of my CD collection is from before 1980!

You won't regret it Ollie. Trust me on this.  ;) ::)
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Offline Oxford Trunkles

• Master of Epic Folly
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, November 24 2007 02:16PM GMT-1 »

You won't regret it Ollie. Trust me on this.  ;) ::)

True!  ;D

Offline sandra

« Reply #20 on: Saturday, November 24 2007 04:10PM GMT-1 »
Like Fi and Nick I can't remember, but once again it was either at the Zodiac or the Cellar Bar (crossed paths etc. We are now good friends).

We first saw Bellowhead at their pubic debut at the 2004 Oxford Folk Festival. The night when folk went funky and the aisles bounced to massed dancers. A never to be forgotten event ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #21 on: Saturday, November 24 2007 04:19PM GMT-1 »
Can someone please merge this thread with the one entitled "So how did you first get into Spiers and Boden" as they are essentially about the same thing. :P

Cheers!  ;D
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Offline Bridgwit

• I must change that photo ....
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, November 24 2007 04:34PM GMT-1 »

Ollie - can I suggest if you're going for Bellowhead that you ask for Burlesque and E.P.Onymous. It's only got 4 tracks so it doesn't cost as much as normal CDs, but they're 4 superb tracks.

Then go for Through & Through by Spiers and Boden and work from there.  :) Happy listening and hope you get to see them soon!
Buying online?

Log onto www.i4cm.com and help cancer charities. Costs you nothing, but one day it could help save a life. Thanks!

Offline Ollie

• I Morris, therefore I am
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, November 24 2007 05:42PM GMT-1 »

Ollie - can I suggest if you're going for Bellowhead that you ask for Burlesque and E.P.Onymous. It's only got 4 tracks so it doesn't cost as much as normal CDs, but they're 4 superb tracks.

Doesn't it  ??? My HMV sell it at £13! And they don't have Burlesque!
"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."

Offline cazzer

« Reply #24 on: Saturday, November 24 2007 06:12PM GMT-1 »
amazon has burlesque for £9.98 and ep onymous for £7.48

Offline Anna

« Reply #25 on: Sunday, November 25 2007 03:04PM GMT-1 »
Go to a gig and but them all there- two birds with one stone!
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline sandra

« Reply #26 on: Sunday, November 25 2007 04:46PM GMT-1 »
amazon has burlesque for £9.98 and ep onymous for £7.48

Or get them straight from John and Jon

http://www.spiersandboden.com/shop.html

Offline Squeezy

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • melodeon & concertina
    • Spiers & Boden main site
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, November 27 2007 01:09PM GMT-1 »
At the suggestion of Gower Flower - I have just learnt how to merge topics together and have done so here.  That might make the flow a little confusing - but at least it's all in one place!

monxton

« Reply #28 on: Friday, November 30 2007 01:46AM GMT-1 »
Mmmm, the years roll into one - was it WOMAD 2003 when I went to a singing workshop that Eliza was going to lead, but she was late, and Jon stepped in? Anyway he was brilliant - quite unfazed by a vast tent full of workshoppers. Eliza turned up for her gig later in the day, and of course S&B were in the band, and I've lost track of the S&B and later on Bellowhead gigs I've been to since. Including one or two at the Tower Arts Centre, which should be saved from the philistines at Hampshire County Council.

Djaque

« Reply #29 on: Friday, February 15 2008 05:42AM GMT-1 »
Quite accidentally, when I was put into John's band at folkworks youth summer school '06. Best week of my life!