Author Topic: So how did YOU get into Spiers and Boden?  (Read 35484 times)

Offline Carolyn

Re: So how did YOU get into Spiers and Boden?
« Reply #90 on: Thursday, May 22 2008 09:36AM GMT-1 »
Woohoo to Salsa Celtica!  I had to SIT through them the first time I saw them although people were dancing.  I was too shy to get up and dance on my own!  Silly me   ::)  I've since enjoyed Bellowhead, so I don't care about solitary pleasure any more    :o

hevaa

« Reply #91 on: Thursday, May 22 2008 09:45PM GMT-1 »
I first saw Bellowhead in... 2006? At the Trowbridge Village Pump Fest, then found out about Spiers&Boden :D

Offline Ollie

• I Morris, therefore I am
« Reply #92 on: Thursday, May 22 2008 11:08PM GMT-1 »
Welcome to the board hevaa!  :) It's very friendly round here.
"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."

hevaa

« Reply #93 on: Friday, May 23 2008 09:26AM GMT-1 »

Offline Milady

• Has a Concertina, Melodeon and Fiddle
    • ladydetemps youtube
« Reply #94 on: Friday, May 23 2008 09:33AM GMT-1 »
welcome :)
I can vouch that thier friendly..I've only been on here just over a month and I already feel like an old friend.
"Lovely band...they play music and everything..."
My Blog http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.com/

Stu

« Reply #95 on: Saturday, September 6 2008 01:57PM GMT-1 »
Well, I was first introduced after I'd just bought the Folk Awards CD (2007, I think), and I listened to the track London Town.  An avid fan ever since! :D

Offline Kay_fin

• My music.
« Reply #96 on: Monday, September 8 2008 10:44AM GMT-1 »
I first found Bellowhead on myspace, about a year ago. I was so excited I phoned my dad saying “iv just listened to this amazing band, there called Bellowhead” and he replied with something like “Yes Kate, they won the folk awards for best live band” I’m so slow, I blame it on having a 2.5 year old so the last few years of my life have been a baby blur  :). I discovered Spiers and Boden soon after, pretty much the same way, on myspace. Going to see them for the first time in Birmingham in a couple of weeks. I cant wait. ;D

Offline Gower Flower

« Reply #97 on: Monday, September 8 2008 11:05AM GMT-1 »
I first found Bellowhead on myspace, about a year ago. I was so excited I phoned my dad saying “iv just listened to this amazing band, there called Bellowhead” and he replied with something like “Yes Kate, they won the folk awards for best live band” I’m so slow, I blame it on having a 2.5 year old so the last few years of my life have been a baby blur  :). I discovered Spiers and Boden soon after, pretty much the same way, on myspace. Going to see them for the first time in Birmingham in a couple of weeks. I cant wait. ;D

You'll have a brilliant time! Please post and tell us all about it afterwards. ;D Welcome, by the way. :aemo_spibod_wave:
All along and down a lea!

Upcoming gigs:

Cropredy, August 7 - 9
Simpson Cutting & Kerr, 23.09. Cardiff
10cc, 8th October, Swansea Grand Theatre
Show of Hands, Cardiff, November 20th
Bellowhead, Cardiff, 26 November

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, April 28 2009 05:32PM GMT-1 »
I don't really come for a folk background, closest I get is the The Pogues, New Model Army, The Alarm, Kirsty McColl, Van Morrison and Simon & Garfunkel. I'm more an indie pop person with The Housemartins, The Wedding Present, The Smiths, Terriorvision, The Killers , etc.

I tend to record the festivals and Jouls Holland off the tele and cut out what I don't like. I saw the S&B performance on BBC for Glastenbury in 2007 (same as is in the video section) and really enjoyed it and kept it and watched them specifically several times.

Later my other half got into Seth Lakeman, and I followed. The joy of the fiddle playing got me looking back for those two guys I'd seen in the wellies on the tele. Ordered Vagabond, loved it. Got Songs and Bellow next, same again. Saw Bellowhead on the BBC folk proms coverage and enjoyed that (love the tuba in place of a bass). Saw S&B were playing Colchester and booked tickets last year. (Saw Seth in Autum last year). Thoroughly enjoyed Colchester and got a copy of Tunes signed and quick chat with Jon  :). So just the one album to go.

Now trying to sort out a festival with S&B and Seth playing. Not looking good so far. Considering getting Bellowhead and Jon's Albums.

Still no that big into the folk music - sorry! - but just something about Seth and S&B that really appeals. Saw Seth at Trafagar square Saturday and enjoyed the Demon Barber despite the sound being not so good and we're looking for a folk festival, so open to expansion...

Oh and it wouldn't be fair not mention my OH thinks I've been obsesed with Morris Dancing for many years. Whenever we come across them everyone else watches for 5-10 minutes. I have to watch for as long as possible, sometimes following them from pitch to pitch. She thinks I want to be one. Something tickles me about grown men dancing around with stick, hankies and bells on there legs. Brilliant. Maybe an influence on why I like the music?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 28 2009 07:14PM GMT-1 by DawnChorus »