Author Topic: Bellowhead ceilidh  (Read 9976 times)

dmi

Bellowhead ceilidh
« on: Thursday, October 2 2008 01:04PM GMT-1 »
So... would Bellowhead ever consider doing a ceilidh? Or have they done one before? It would be an incredible experience! Anyone else agree?

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
Re: Bellowhead ceilidh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 2 2008 01:13PM GMT-1 »
It would be great wouldn't it! Interestingly enough, they're down for the Moseley folk Xmas ceilidh on the gig list...

And while I'm on the subject of tour dates - do the links (on the Bellowhead site tour dates page) work for everyone else? For some reason I can't click on any of them  ???
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 2 2008 01:23PM GMT-1 by firebird »
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Milady

• Has a Concertina, Melodeon and Fiddle
    • ladydetemps youtube
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 2 2008 01:19PM GMT-1 »
So... would Bellowhead ever consider doing a ceilidh? Or have they done one before? It would be an incredible experience! Anyone else agree?
only just recently found out what a ceilidh is....yeah that would be well cool.
"Lovely band...they play music and everything..."
My Blog http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.com/

Offline owl at home

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 2 2008 01:23PM GMT-1 »
I've seen Faustus do a ceilidh at Cecil Sharp House and it was great fun.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 2 2008 01:25PM GMT-1 »
You'd need someone like Gordon Potts calling though - he managed to organise the late night Glorystrokes ceilidh at Towersey this year, and I can imagine a Bellowhead ceilidh would be equally as riotous :D

LDT - never been to a ceilidh? Get thee to one soon!
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Milady

• Has a Concertina, Melodeon and Fiddle
    • ladydetemps youtube
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 2 2008 01:31PM GMT-1 »

LDT - never been to a ceilidh? Get thee to one soon!
they had some Ceilidh at the EATMT traditional music day...I had to drag my mum away she wouldn't stop dancing. lol!
I on the other hand have two left feet and hayfever (would have carried on regardless, but the cut grass and hay bales were aggravating my breathing) and had forgotten to bring any hayfever tablets :( So only managed 3 dances.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 2 2008 01:38PM GMT-1 by ladydetemps »
"Lovely band...they play music and everything..."
My Blog http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.com/

dmi

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 2 2008 02:29PM GMT-1 »
Ceilidhs are great! And yes, Gordon would have been my first choice for caller. Went to a Gordon Potts + Oysterband ceilidh at the Big Session, which was just incredible. We had one huge continuous Strip The Willow dance in one huge long set!

Gordon's doing a ceilidh in Oxford on 11th October but I can't make it :(

Offline Oxford Trunkles

• Master of Epic Folly
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 2 2008 04:53PM GMT-1 »
Went to a Gordon Potts + Oysterband ceilidh at the Big Session, which was just incredible. We had one huge continuous Strip The Willow dance in one huge long set!

That was fantastic! Complete madness but a great spectacle.

and I can imagine a Bellowhead ceilidh would be equally as riotous :D

What you mean unlike a normal Bellowhead gig?  ;D

Trunkles

Offline Kay_fin

• My music.
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 2 2008 06:10PM GMT-1 »
Ooo, I'm going to that. Didn't realise it was a ceilidh, even though it blatantly says so in the title. I was going to get standing tickets.
How does it work? what will happen? I'm scared (I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to...well anything really) I never been to one before, although the idea i have in my head sounds fun.

dmi

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 2 2008 11:08PM GMT-1 »
Ooo, I'm going to that. Didn't realise it was a ceilidh, even though it blatantly says so in the title. I was going to get standing tickets.
How does it work? what will happen? I'm scared (I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to...well anything really) I never been to one before, although the idea i have in my head sounds fun.

The Xmas Ceilidh? I'm now tempted to get tickets. No idea how this one will work, but it generally involves great music, lots of dancing and a fair amount of mayhem. They are always fantastic fun (whoever's playing and calling) and are very highly recommended. I plan to go to as many as I can...

Stu

« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 3 2008 05:53PM GMT-1 »

Yeh dmi's pretty much got it nailed there, but I would say from experience its always best to try and bring soem sort of partner with you that you can dance with! Thought you end up dancing with a ton of people you've never met anyway!

Offline Kay_fin

• My music.
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 3 2008 07:51PM GMT-1 »
Thanks both for answering. I'm going with my friend anyhow, may have to warn her too  :) So is it kind of like the same principal as when your at school doing country dancing? But a lot better obviously and with beer, and without the ugly bug ball song  :laugh:

dmi

« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 3 2008 08:07PM GMT-1 »
So is it kind of like the same principle as when your at school doing country dancing? But a lot better obviously and with beer, and without the ugly bug ball song  :laugh:

Hehe - I guess if you had to compare it to something, it's a little like that. With great music, lots of people swapping partners a lot, and something called "Stripping the Willow", which leads to all sorts of wonderfully bad puns or misconceptions...

... speaking of which, does anyone know any callers that do Drops of Brandy? I haven't danced that in years... the closest I've been was the perpetual Stripping that Gordon lead at the Big Session. That was manic but really great!

Stu

« Reply #13 on: Friday, October 3 2008 08:38PM GMT-1 »

... speaking of which, does anyone know any callers that do Drops of Brandy? I haven't danced that in years... the closest I've been was the perpetual Stripping that Gordon lead at the Big Session. That was manic but really great!
[/quote]

David Oliver, he's running the Big National Ceilidh and yeh, he does that tune!  Its a nasty tune to play though! Well, I think it is....

Offline Ancient Muse

« Reply #14 on: Friday, October 3 2008 10:10PM GMT-1 »
I love a ceilidh - or Twmpath as we call them in Wales!

Always wanted to be a dancer, me ...