Author Topic: Princess Royal  (Read 2834 times)

ladygeeke

Princess Royal
« on: Friday, March 27 2009 02:49PM GMT-1 »
I may be dreaming this whole thing, but I'm sure I remember in the 1950s/early 60s watching a TV series that had Princess Royal as its theme tune. An orchestral version. I think it might have been about Billy Bunter.
Hearing Squeezy talk about the history of the tune at the Purcell Room made this fact pop into my head, and now I want to find out if I'm right. Or just senile.
Anyone ... ?
Pat
xx

ladygeeke

Re: Princess Royal
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 27 2009 02:54PM GMT-1 »
I should have just Googled it in the first place, silly me!

From album notes for a TV Tunes album:
"Ralph Vaughan Williams never restricted himself just to symphonies, concertos and the like, but saw his rĂ´le as writing music for all areas of music-making, instrumental, vocal, and choral, and for professionals and amateurs to play. He took up film music in his later years as much as a new challenge as anything else. The military band also benefitted from several works from his inexhaustible pen, including a quick march based on Sea Songs - Princess Royal, Admiral Benbow and Portsmouth. It dates from 1923, having probably been first heard at the British Empire Exhibition the following year. This version for orchestra was prepared by the composer nineteen years later, and became familiar to television viewers in the 1950s as the theme for Billy Bunter."

So, not senile then (yet).

lizzie

Re: Princess Royal
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 27 2009 05:01PM GMT-1 »

So, not senile then (yet).

apart from talking to yourself on in this thread!! ;)