Author Topic: Colchester Arts Centre 06/04  (Read 9669 times)

BoldSirAndy

Colchester Arts Centre 06/04
« on: Tuesday, April 7 2009 06:41PM GMT-1 »
A most enjoyable night out and a return to the place where I first saw them several years ago. The busiest I've ever seen the venue and apparently the folk club's first sold out event for several years, although at least one person didn't turn up and my bag and jacket got a seat to themselves. The seats of the front row were almost touching the stage, which wasn't too good for the view because I had the choice of either looking ahead normally and getting a great view of their knees or craning my neck upwards to practically stare up their noses but by getting to the front I did win the all important right to rest my drinks on the stage.

It goes without saying that they played magnificently. From what I remember, there was lots of stuff from Vagabond, (Tom Padget, The Birth of Robin Hood, Three Tunes, Mary Ann & Captain Ward), Child Morris, Brown Adam, Old Maui, Sloe Gin, Innocent When You Dream, Prickle Eye Bush and a bloody good Rochdale Coconut Dance and another bloody good Princess Royal/Cuckoo's Nest with some excellent stomp-boxing from Squeezy. As enjoyable as Bellowhead are, I can't help but think that there's an element of novelty that eventually wears off but John and Jon are as fresh and exciting as they ever have been and there's a chemistry, intensity and spontaneity that you just don't get anywhere else.

The only negatives I can think of are Jon's decision to stick with Orlando Bloom as Child Morris instead of Zac Efron, (the original production has run its course and a recast probably is necessary), and a minor point in Squeezy's introduction to Sloe Gin. You're not really supposed to put good gin in the freezer, it destroys the more subtle flavours and ruins the texture and mouthfeel. If you're using it for frozen shots or cocktails you should really use cheaper gin or perhaps a flavoured vodka.

Roger Telfer

Re: Colchester Arts Centre 06/04
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 7 2009 07:41PM GMT-1 »
Too right BoldSirAndy.  A great gig with a full house! 

J&J just get better and better - they took the Arts Centre by storm and even took notice of my interval request for them to sing Mary Anne in the second half. 

Can't wait to see them again and convert even more of my family and friends to them. 

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 28 2009 12:47PM GMT-1 »
First post so Hello all

Forgive bolting this on here but already typed it out and then saw this thread here already! Can't disagree with anything said. We were 4 or 5 rows from stage (not expecting seats) and was great.

Bit late posting this - misread the forum email about access, opps - put wanted to post and say how much I enjoyed seeing the fella's play live for the first time in Colchester earlier this month having been a fan for a relatively short time but having most of the albums. Not a musical person really - few chord on the guitar - but first just wanted to say how accomplished they are and also how amazed I am at how much noise, and particularly different noises, they can make with just 8 limbs; of which I think 7 were used. Particularly fun watching Jon to see how he's going make noises in addition to voice and guitar/fiddle, be it stomping, dancing or use of the wellington boot as he did on the BBC Glastonbury footage (were I first saw them).

Spent some of the gig trying to figure out how on earth they managed to also get quite a bassy sound, wondered if Jon had a series of foot drums not just the plywood thing. Fortunately managed to ask Jon at half time and somehow Squeezy manages to make that noise in addition to the sweet notes and squeezy sound which added even more to my appreciation of what he can do with those things. Must need a heck of a lot of coordination to do different things on difference hands and the squeezing. Wonder if it the actual squeezing that’s the bass sound or the buttons?

Wanted to also say what a great choice of songs they have, very pretty songs and of course often amusing. My OH and I really enjoyed it and, I know I'm talking to the converted, but I can see anyway turning up the convert and enjoying it, there songs are so sweet and the patter very funny. Loved them setting everyone up with the farmer noises.

I haven't been that much into folk music before <ducks> unless you count The Pogues <ducks> and Folk Rock bands like The Alarm (how old) or some acoustic artists so it either a testament to my ignorance or the quality of what they do that I they're now firmly one of my favorite groups.

Oh and I was disappoint with our position in the league table but I guess it matches the town football team; safe from relegation but missed out on the play offs. Was also very nice getting my copy of Tunes signed. Next time will be bringing the little one as I'm sure she'd loved it but will remember to send he to the bar at the appropriate time!

Anyway hello all and thanks to the guys for a great evening, hopefully the first of many. Look out for a pain requesting DawnChorus. :)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 28 2009 03:01PM GMT-1 by DawnChorus »

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 28 2009 01:10PM GMT-1 »
Hello and welcome! :)

Quote from: DawnChorus
Spent some of the gig trying to figure out how on earth they managed to also get quite a bassy sound...somehow Squeezy manages to make that noise in addition to the sweet notes and squeezy sound...Wonder if it the actual squeezing that’s the bass sound or the buttons?

A melodeon has two ends - one treble (R hand), one bass (L hand), so that's half the bass sound you're hearing, the other half is Jon's feet  :D  :aemo_squeeze:

Look out for a pain requesting DawnChorus. :)

You're not the only one - I've been waiting a year and a half so far. Can never decide whether I want to hear that or Run for your life more though  ::) Problem probably solved by me never hearing either of them live   :laugh:
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 28 2009 02:25PM GMT-1 »
Cheers for welcome and info Firebird. Happily puts that one to bed.

I've another daft question if you're up for it! Towards the end of Dawn Chorus there seems to melodeon, guitar and fiddle playing. Is that right? I sometimes get confused with the fiddle and melodeon sound, partly why I think they go together so well. I've no problem with it I just love the tune but am interested to know. I think its just Jon switches instruments but not quite sure!

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 28 2009 03:02PM GMT-1 »
Firebird if we're ever at the same gig you ask for one I'll ask for the other!

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 28 2009 04:12PM GMT-1 »
Quote from: DawnChorus
I've another daft question if you're up for it! Towards the end of Dawn Chorus there seems to melodeon, guitar and fiddle playing. Is that right?

I believe so - Jon does play guitar, but I think on the CD it's Benji [Kirkpatrick]. Don't have a CD case near at hand to check!

It's a deal...but I think you probably live on the other side of the country from me :D
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 28 2009 04:14PM GMT-1 by firebird »
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 28 2009 07:32PM GMT-1 »
Cheers. Looked at the Bellow cover and no specific credit to him for that song but is thanked overall.

Didn't realise Sueezy had written it. It gets better.  :)

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 18 2011 12:35PM GMT-1 »
There'll be back here next month and we're going. Looking forward to it :)

Seth was good their on Wednesday, as we're Belshazzar's Feast in December and Bellowhead before that. Getting so great stuff there.

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 3 2011 07:53PM GMT-1 »
If your coming tomorrow be warned the're closing Baulken hill from 8:00pm (according to the road signs). Wouldn't have thought it will be that bad but you might not want to leave it to last minute. Baulken hill is road up the hill/cut through behind the arts centre; st mary's car park the other side of the road.

Offline Raytard

• Wannabe folkie
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 3 2011 09:15PM GMT-1 »
Ahhh! Completely forgot to buy tickets, thanks for bumping the thread Dawn, much appreciated! :D

Offline Gilly

« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 4 2011 02:13PM GMT-1 »
If your coming tomorrow be warned the're closing Baulken hill from 8:00pm (according to the road signs). Wouldn't have thought it will be that bad but you might not want to leave it to last minute. Baulken hill is road up the hill/cut through behind the arts centre; st mary's car park the other side of the road.

Thanks for the warning. We usually park at St Mary's for Arts Centre gigs. Very much looking forward to this evening! I'll be the one grinning like a loon, with a pint in my hand, in a new frock.

Offline maureen

« Reply #12 on: Monday, April 4 2011 02:42PM GMT-1 »
I think the road closure is next week, not this!
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 4 2011 02:45PM GMT-1 »
I think you may still get in there car park if you coming from the south side (well I guess you will anyway if before 8:00). Me and OH will be one of the few with a child, hopefully near the front again. :)

Ah next week was it. Sorry! We were trying to read it in just one circuit of the roundabout!

Offline Raytard

• Wannabe folkie
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 4 2011 04:42PM GMT-1 »
Gah, managed to secure one ticket, but really wanted to take someone with me, looks like im going on my own then! :(