Author Topic: Colchester Arts Centre 06/04  (Read 9634 times)

Offline DawnChorus

Re: Colchester Arts Centre 06/04
« Reply #15 on: Monday, April 4 2011 11:32PM GMT-1 »
Well that was superb. Squizzy even played Dawn Chorus solo. There was a new tune they wrote (French waltz/tractor hornpipe!?) and New York dolls. Was all good but particularly enjoyed Bold Sir Rylas, Dawn Chorus, Story of Robin hood, Sportsman Hornpipe, sloe gin set and Captain ward. Erm the whole thing really!?

Offline Raytard

• Wannabe folkie
« Reply #16 on: Monday, April 4 2011 11:34PM GMT-1 »
I second that, fantastic gig, absolutely fantastic. They played the gooseberry bush which has been stuck in my head for yonks :L

+ Watching spiers play sloe gin made me realise how bad I am at learning things by ear, I've been playing too low on the keyboard  :D

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, April 5 2011 12:21AM GMT-1 »
:)

Did you like Squezzy's new instrument. Look nice all black, red and gold. The right hand mechanism looked interesting.

Offline maureen

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, April 5 2011 01:27AM GMT-1 »
Well that was great! I've got the new tunes on video, will upload to Facebook tomorrow.

You were right about the road closure, Dawn Chorus - the website we checked was lying. Sorry! Did see you sitting at the front, but didn't get the chance to speak.

Pleased to find myself sitting next to Raytard (he's a nice young man!)
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, April 5 2011 09:48AM GMT-1 »
Look forward to seeing that. I recorded Old Mali and would have done Slow Gin too but couldn't sit still.

Shame we didn't bump into each other but was it yourself or Raytard on top of the human pyramind! :)

Offline maureen

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, April 5 2011 11:17AM GMT-1 »
It was me of course - standing on Raytard's shoulders. (Poor lad!)

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, April 5 2011 01:09PM GMT-1 »
 :)

Offline Raytard

• Wannabe folkie
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, April 5 2011 04:28PM GMT-1 »
His new one was gorgeous and I want it  :D

I'll have to add you both on facebook so I can watch the recordings  :)
It was great meeting you maureen, we'll have to organise something next time they play colchester, perhaps us three could go pinch the front row!  :D

Offline Gilly

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, April 5 2011 08:23PM GMT-1 »
Ah, so there was a human pyramid then?  ;)
I was very keen to dance, but didn't have the nerve to do so at the front, so bolted to the back during New York Girls. The trouble was I then had a bit of a "Jarvis Cocker at the Brits" moment, ie "Ah. Now what?" Never been one for dancing where people could see me. Next time I shall contain my enthusiasm. :-[
Wonderful evening, just fabulous. I do like the tractor/ironing board hornpipe, Sloe Gin is always wonderful, Robin Hood is lovely & turns my knees to jelly every time I hear it (liked the introduction too). Ah, it was all just fabulous, really. And full marks to Mr Boden for containing his befuddlement when I asked when the BH children's album is due out. It's a long story...on the tour before last he made a quip about bringing out a children's album soon, since some of the songs are rather, er, adult of content. And the kids (aged 5 & 7) and I have been having some interesting "What's this song about mummy? To be smarter than a what, mummy?" conversations in the car of late, so the BH children's album has become something of a family injoke. So, hats off for "Well, we don't have any plans to bring one out at the moment...." ;D Ah, the things they have to put up with....

Offline maureen

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, April 5 2011 09:33PM GMT-1 »
So that was you in front of me at the CD stall then, Gilly!

If you didn't pick up the details of the children's CD that Jon mentioned, it's Jess and Richard Arrowsmith's "Off We Go!". It features Jon singing and making pig noises!

One of the highlights last night, for me, was Courting Too Slow. It was played for a couple in the audience whose 31st wedding anniversary it was. As Jon said, perhaps not really an apporpriate choice, unless as an example of what might have been!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssq7dkD0cj0 = link to my video. Facebook wouldn't load it, so have put it on Youtube
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 5 2011 11:08PM GMT-1 by maureen »

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, April 6 2011 01:38PM GMT-1 »
We did wonder if Jon migth have fluffed the Bold Sir Rylas line as our little(ish) one was sitting in the front row under his nose and he was deciding what to say. She may go eww to that and some of the other S&B lyrics but okay with them. I guess belowhead's could raise more interesting questions. At least kafuzolims(sp) lyrics are very truncated!

Offline Milady

• Has a Concertina, Melodeon and Fiddle
    • ladydetemps youtube
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, April 6 2011 01:48PM GMT-1 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssq7dkD0cj0 = link to my video. Facebook wouldn't load it, so have put it on Youtube
I like the new tunes. :)  :aemo_fiddle: :aemo_squeeze:
"Lovely band...they play music and everything..."
My Blog http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Gilly

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, April 6 2011 01:50PM GMT-1 »
Ah, fancy that, maureen! I have a dreadful memory for faces as well as names (unless you're wearing the boa, perhaps!), so please tap me on the shoulder next time, and the round shall be mine!  :)
Lovely video, thank you! New tunes are indeed lovely.
Off We Go does indeed sound good - I think I'll put in on my birthday list, never mind the children's! Yes, my girls sing Bold Sir Rylas with great gusto, and take great delight in the protagonist obviously being drunk in New York Girls. They're now learning nearly all the words so I have to keep singing some unspecified crescendoing noise on the last line...But, I think I'm instilling a love of cracking music in them, so it's a very small price to pay indeed. Luckily they don't think much of Amsterdam, so that tends to get skipped. They don't seem to mind the gore; I think I have Horrible Histories to thank for that.
Edit: I do still harbour a secret wish for a Bellowhead children's album. Just how cool would that be?  ;D
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 6 2011 01:53PM GMT-1 by Gilly »

Offline Raytard

• Wannabe folkie
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, April 6 2011 02:35PM GMT-1 »

Wonderful, thanks for uploading it! :)

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, April 7 2011 12:52PM GMT-1 »