Author Topic: TV/Radio Alerts  (Read 49923 times)

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
TV/Radio Alerts
« on: Thursday, April 16 2009 11:10AM GMT-1 »
I don't think we've got a thread like this so I've started one!

Mac and Saul are on Radio 3's Late Junction tonight, 11.15 pm.  I'll be folkclubbing, so hurrah for listen again!
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Carolyn

Re: TV/Radio Alerts
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 16 2009 11:37AM GMT-1 »
We'll probably be on our way back from Benji at the Stables and I don't know where Radio 3 is so Anna might have to do that while I'm driving!

Carolyn

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 16 2009 12:06PM GMT-1 »
Thanks for that - I never remember to check the listings.

Offline Shelley

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 16 2009 12:08PM GMT-1 »
Me neither - Mac has sent a message to everyone in the Facebook group which is how I knew!  This is the message:

Hi folk fans,

I know what you're thinking!

You're thinking, what shall I do at 11.15 this evening.

Fear not!

The answer is at hand!

Catch Mac & Saul on Late Junction, Radio 3.

Phew!

M&S

And here is a link to the programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/latejunction/

Can't find the wavelength for R3.  It's a saved one on the DAB radio and I think it's between R2 and R4 on the old fashioned twiddly radio.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 16 2009 12:15PM GMT-1 by Shelley »
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Anna

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 16 2009 01:45PM GMT-1 »
Right-o, I'll be in charge of twiddling then!
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline Helen :oD

• Iris Promotions
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 16 2009 03:13PM GMT-1 »
90-93 FM :)
xXx
"Sweating like a turtle"
Oxford Folk Festival
Ely Folk Festival
Shrewsbury Folk Festival

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 17 2009 08:19AM GMT-1 »
Well we managed to find Radion 3 and listened to everything on the journey home, but there was no sign of Mac and Saul until just as I dropped Anna off at about 5 past midnight when the tinkling sound of a hammered dulcimer wafted through the car.  And that was it.  I got home about 10 mins later but there was no mention of an interview.  Were we expecting one?

Carolyn

PS You get some funny stuff in World Music, don't you?

Offline Clare

« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 17 2009 08:31AM GMT-1 »
Oh, well - thanks for that - at least I will know where to find it on my recording of the show!

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 17 2009 08:49AM GMT-1 »
Well we managed to find Radion 3 and listened to everything on the journey home, but there was no sign of Mac and Saul until just as I dropped Anna off at about 5 past midnight when the tinkling sound of a hammered dulcimer wafted through the car.  And that was it.  I got home about 10 mins later but there was no mention of an interview.  Were we expecting one?

Carolyn

PS You get some funny stuff in World Music, don't you?

I thought the Miaow people of China were very entertaining  :D
We can't go over it, we can't go under it....

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 17 2009 11:14AM GMT-1 »
They were good, weren't they?  I liked the first couple of things she played too, and the Russian one was fun.  What makes something World Music rather than just Music, though?  Or is that like asking "What is folk music?"!

Carolyn

Offline maureen

« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 17 2009 11:28AM GMT-1 »
I liked Genticorum - can see why Shelley admires them! I had hoped we would hear more than one track from Mac and Saul even if there was to be no interview. Good to hear Chris Wood too. I assume World
Music is supposed to be traditional (at least in style) to the country of origin?
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline Shelley

« Reply #11 on: Friday, April 17 2009 01:00PM GMT-1 »
Hurrah!  Another convert!  Worth seeing live if you can - so much energy, and Pascal can sing, play fiddle and do foot percussion all at the same time!  They're in the UK rather a lot over the summer it seems, but I can't get to any of the festivals they are playing at  :'( 
« Last Edit: Friday, April 17 2009 01:10PM GMT-1 by Shelley »

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
« Reply #12 on: Friday, April 17 2009 02:45PM GMT-1 »
They were good, weren't they?  I liked the first couple of things she played too, and the Russian one was fun.  What makes something World Music rather than just Music, though?  Or is that like asking "What is folk music?"!

Carolyn

Yes, so please stop it  ;) and have a look at this: http://www.frootsmag.com/content/features/world_music_history/

I liked Genticorum too. Though I thought they might be 'Le Vent do Nord' for a while...  ;)
We can't go over it, we can't go under it....

Offline Stephenw

« Reply #13 on: Friday, April 17 2009 04:09PM GMT-1 »
I liked Genticorum too. Though I thought they might be 'Le Vent do Nord' for a while...  ;)

I'm sure I'd read in fRoots that their album had been produced by someone connected with 'Le Vent Du Nord'. I like them both but 'Le Vent du Nord' just shade it for me. Their last album is a cracker.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it." But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #14 on: Friday, April 17 2009 04:12PM GMT-1 »
Were Genticorum the ones on first or second?  I think they were French-speaking, but I can't find the Music Played section on the new revamped BBC radio website.  Grr.

Carolyn