Author Topic: Songbook?  (Read 8320 times)

Gumble

Songbook?
« on: Tuesday, April 28 2009 07:45PM GMT-1 »
Sorry if this has already been covered, but did I hear some mutterings about a Spiers and Boden songbook? It sounds as though copies of the old John Spiers songbook are like gold dust now.

If there is one on the horizon that would be fantastic - I just started playing the melodeon and have been bumbling through Melodeon.net, FolkTuneFinder and FolkInfo trying to find as many managable S&B and BH songs as possible!

I'm new to posting here by the way, so hi everyone!  :D

Stu

Re: Songbook?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 28 2009 09:02PM GMT-1 »
Hey Gumble, as far as I know there's nothing on the near future about a songbook, however, I would be happy to send you some of their traditional tunes they play that I have notated.  Just give me a PM!  Happy Posting!  :)

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 28 2009 10:30PM GMT-1 »
Hello and welcome! There used to be all sorts of useful resources around on the S&B and Bellowhead websites, but since they've both been redesigned, all has been lost...

There were indeed mutterings, but mutterings is all...

BUT, there are some suggestions from Squeezy here: http://forums.spiersandboden.com/index.php?topic=174.0 (although the wayback machine is brilliant, none of the images work, so sleevenotes but no actual dots  ::)).

As Stu says, the traditional songs and tunes can be found from a range of sources, of which you seem to be aware of a fair few (btw, I lurk over on mel.net under my real name - Ellie - see you there! :)). And the Hardcore English Book published by the EFDSS is very good for some familiar sounding tunes, and lots of other nice tunes.

So Squeezy, are you hard at work writing the new songbook? ;D (all is forgiven if you are instead hard at work creating wonderful new music for us to listen to and marvel at :D).
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 28 2009 10:32PM GMT-1 by firebird »
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Gumble

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 29 2009 02:16AM GMT-1 »
Thanks guys! I reckon with a little help from Stu and some more trawling of various websites I should have enough to put me on until the muttered-about songbook arrives if it's going to  :P

I had thought about investing in a big EFDSS book or something... I've got a few tunes from my dad's old Morris book from when he used to dance years ago. I love that there's such a great online community for this stuff now, I don't know where I'd be with the box if it wasn't for here and mel.net!

Offline Ancient Muse

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 29 2009 07:54AM GMT-1 »
Is there a Squeezy songbook? I'd like that!

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, April 29 2009 08:01AM GMT-1 »

Squeezy's tune book is, as mentioned earlier, very difficult to get hold of these days  ::).

Another couple of books worth getting - which you'll find many familiar tunes in! -  are the Dave Townsend 'English Dance Music' ones :

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/GM0715-p-English-Dance-Music-Vol-1-Page.htm   

and   

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/GM0716-p-English-Dance-Music-Vol-2-Page.htm

We can't go over it, we can't go under it....

Offline Milady

• Has a Concertina, Melodeon and Fiddle
    • ladydetemps youtube
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, April 29 2009 08:56AM GMT-1 »

I'm new to posting here by the way, so hi everyone!  :D
welcome :) I'm over at mel.net too...under...well the same name. lol!
"Lovely band...they play music and everything..."
My Blog http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.com/

Offline brianleach

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 29 2009 12:09PM GMT-1 »
If you are interested in Morris tunes I can recommend Dave Mallinson's which might be here!

http://www.mally.com/details.asp?id=4

There are two volumes and they have a cd which can be bought separately if you want to hear what they sound like. They were ideal for me before I became a Morris dancer as although I can read music I don't seem able to read rhythms.

I was lucky enough to get probably John's last song book copy. Because it wasn't perfect he refused to accept any money for it!

Brian

Offline Helen :oD

• Iris Promotions
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 29 2009 01:10PM GMT-1 »
If you ebay John Spiers his Melodeon Guide is on there.
Also... I found this, care to comment Squeezy ;)

xXx
"Sweating like a turtle"
Oxford Folk Festival
Ely Folk Festival
Shrewsbury Folk Festival

Gumble

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 29 2009 01:26PM GMT-1 »
Thanks for all the recommendations :) My dad's book is the old Morris Ring manual thingy so I think it has most of the tunes and I can get the timing off various recordings and midis. I'm the same, Brian, I can read music (very slowly, I last had to read it when playing the clarinet at age 13) but I just can't get timing from notation reliably. I tend to just translate sheet music into Mally's cheat notation straight off and then learn the timing from a recording!

My main reason for hankering after a S&B songbook is for some of their original compositions. I think I'll consider myself to have made it as a box player when I can play frozen gin :D

It would appear Squeezy has a very cunning alter-ego in the children's fiction circuit. Masterfully disguised by the reversal of the e and the i in his last name :P

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 29 2009 01:36PM GMT-1 »
Ah but if you look him up on Amazon, he's written dozens of things - and the children's books are written by John SpIErs and illustrated by John SpEIrs!  How cunning - and how talented, as if we didn't know it!

Sorry - drifting again...  Welcome, by the way, Gumble   :)

Carolyn

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, May 10 2009 05:34PM GMT-1 »
Looks like Squeezy's done a DVD too, saw "Traditional Melodeon Mastering the Art John Spiers" on ebay

Gumble

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, May 10 2009 07:54PM GMT-1 »
Yeah, I got that a few weeks ago - fantastic DVD but way ahead of me at the moment! Looking forward to one being able to apply some of his teaching :)