Author Topic: Birmingham Town Hall - 15 May  (Read 6653 times)

Offline Clare

Birmingham Town Hall - 15 May
« on: Saturday, May 9 2009 03:24PM GMT-1 »
Anyone else going to this? Jon and John are supporting Rachel Unthank and the Winterset. Wasn't going to go along at first, but have been persuaded (by Douglas) but probably will not stay for the main act - means we can get home early for once!

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
Re: Birmingham Town Hall - 15 May
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 9 2009 07:21PM GMT-1 »
Huzzah! At last I'm not the only person who's been to a gig mainly to see the support ;D
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Clare

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 10 2009 08:48PM GMT-1 »
Huzzah!

Did you pinch this word from Saul Rose? He was at the gig last night (playing with Ruth Notman) in Holmfirth. Said that he had only ever heard one person use it - or did he pinch it from you??
 ;)
At last I'm not the only person who's been to a gig mainly to see the support ;D

Indeed not and we'll be doing that again when we go see Kerfuffle supporting the Oysterband :D

Andy B

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 14 2009 01:38PM GMT-1 »
Woohoo!! I'm going. Got me a ticket just now. Really looking forward to it. Never seen Spiers & Boden before, and Rachel Unthank are probably the reason i started listening to folk music. It's gonna be heaven in Brum!!

pipistrelle

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 14 2009 06:18PM GMT-1 »

Indeed not and we'll be doing that again when we go see Kerfuffle supporting the Oysterband :D

Oh my god, when we used to see the Oysterband they were in small venues without support acts, how times change!  :D

Sounds like a great night pickeletto  ;)

A x

Offline Clare

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 14 2009 07:08PM GMT-1 »
Woohoo!! I'm going. Got me a ticket just now. Really looking forward to it. Never seen Spiers & Boden before, and Rachel Unthank are probably the reason i started listening to folk music. It's gonna be heaven in Brum!!

we'll be in row B - at right of hall so Douglas can watch John's playing! I do hope they play Tom Padget as it is Douglas's current favourite (played over and over again in the interludes between practising his melodeon!)
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 14 2009 07:12PM GMT-1 by pickeletto »

Offline cazzer

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 14 2009 07:11PM GMT-1 »
Glad to hear he's still practising  ;D.     Hope you all enjoy it.     we would have come up but have decided to go to Bridgwater instead on Saturday

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 14 2009 09:58PM GMT-1 »
Quote from: pickeletto
I do hope they play Tom Padget as it is Douglas's current favourite (played over and over again in the interludes between practising his melodeon!)

I see Douglas and I are of one mind! TP seems to be a staple on the setlists recently...so hope we get it at Wood too (though from the forecast, perhaps The Rain it rains might be more appropriate  :laugh:)
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline Clare

« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 15 2009 07:45AM GMT-1 »
Quote from: pickeletto
I do hope they play Tom Padget as it is Douglas's current favourite (played over and over again in the interludes between practising his melodeon!)

I see Douglas and I are of one mind! TP seems to be a staple on the setlists recently...so hope we get it at Wood too (though from the forecast, perhaps The Rain it rains might be more appropriate  :laugh:)

Yes, I am lucky - so much better than when he was five and listening to some awful pop stuff!

Offline Clare

« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 15 2009 11:09PM GMT-1 »
Just back - we didn't stay for the main act - thought it would be a good thing to get back early for once. Went on the train too which was suprisingly painless.

Well, TP was played and Douglas was very pleased. It was a good gig  - (a little short for my liking I suppose) but we had a good evening - and Douglas is now playing the melodeon before bed

Andy B

« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 29 2009 08:24PM GMT-1 »
Blimey, this was two weeks ago. Feels like longer. I once suggested a theory (amongst various beers), that the more things you experience on a day to day basis, the longer life seems to be. Like a sponge that gradually soaks water up, it gets heavier and heavier. Well anyway, i was gonna do a review of my first Spiers & Boden concert the day after, but somehow time has eluded me and here i am looking back to something that now appears shrouded in fog and a groggy memory.

I never knew how good a guitar player Mr Boden is. I mean he may not be the greatest picker or finger licker (!) but he knows how to express on his guitar. Certain notes and chords snapping to, like baby alligators around a slither of meat. I was impressed. I was also impressed at despite it being quite a big venue, and there just being the two of them (they can make it if they try!) they seemed to own the hall. At first maybe a little lost, after a couple of songs it was theirs. The songs were great, loved hearing Tom Padgett and other songs off Vagabond. Also adored the Tom Waits tune. I think best of all, they were at one with the songs they were singing. It wasn't a show, there was no put on, or mistaken attempts at authenticity. It felt real and laced with a healthy dose of sincerity and humbleness in honour of the tradition they are now part of.

I could write more about Rachel Unthank. There is something very spiritual and earthy about what they do (a contradiction perhaps, but i think right), and i was left enraptured. There is a raw sexiness to Becky Unthanks voice (think of an old torch singer with a yard of ale) that leaves me feeling all funny (sorry can't think of a better way to say it!) and it gives the songs a passion and personality that takes them beyond being just mere folk songs. They seem to matter and mean something greater than what just the words imply.

The whole evening was a joy to behold and i know that whenever i can, i'll be seeming them both again.