Author Topic: Sportsman's Hornpipe: Addictive  (Read 7462 times)

Offline DawnChorus

Sportsman's Hornpipe: Addictive
« on: Tuesday, May 12 2009 10:36AM GMT-1 »
Something weird about that tune. Understated and somehow very catchey, almost addictive about it. Doesn't seem to have a hook in it, not that I'm that musical to always know one when I hear one.

Often play it twice when it comes on.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
Re: Sportsman's Hornpipe: Addictive
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 12 2009 11:30AM GMT-1 »
Aye, and it's a lovely one to play as well :) Have been listening hard recently, trying to figure out what the lovely understated basses Squeezy plays are. It's modal isn't it, so that messes them up a bit  ::)
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 12 2009 11:35AM GMT-1 »
Think I'll have to have a look on you tube to see if there's a simple how those things work. I know one hands for bass but still confuses me! All seems very complicated.

Offline Milady

• Has a Concertina, Melodeon and Fiddle
    • ladydetemps youtube
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 12 2009 11:42AM GMT-1 »
I did try playing it on concertina...but managed to tie my fingers in knots for some sections...keep meaning to try it on melodeon.
"Lovely band...they play music and everything..."
My Blog http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.com/

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 12 2009 12:15PM GMT-1 »
Funnily enough I just told Firebird I'd be worried about breaking my fingers trying to playing a Melodeon! No co-ordination.

Offline tallship

• Pete
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 13 2009 09:39PM GMT-1 »
It's modal isn't it, so that messes them up a bit  ::)

The version I have is in G Dorian which has one flat the same a F. If you're playing it on the G row of a D/G box you'll be playing it in A Dorian which has one sharp. If your box has a stop on the bass end to take out the thirds in the chords use it, otherwise stick to the bass fundamentals only. I'm really not that good on a melodeon (too much time spent fixing them rather than practising!) but it's pretty straightforward on an English concertina. There again I'm only playing the melody ...
 :aemo_fiddle:

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 14 2009 09:30AM GMT-1 »
Quote from: tallship
If you're playing it on the G row of a D/G box you'll be playing it in A Dorian which has one sharp. If your box has a stop on the bass end to take out the thirds in the chords use it

I thought it probably involved something like that...happily my posh new box does indeed have a stop for the thirds ;D (guess what I'll be doing tonight instead of packing  ::))

Offline tallship

• Pete
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 14 2009 05:52PM GMT-1 »
We should also remember that Squeezy has a habit of designing different layouts ( here & here) so you may never be able to play exactly what he does anyway.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 14 2009 06:09PM GMT-1 »
Quote from: tallship
play exactly what he does anyway.

Not my aim (how depressing would that be?! I just like the rhythm and minimalist basses!), but thanks for the warning :) I think everone naturally plays in different individual styles anyway - my style being of very odd and often wrong timing...  ::)

I got teased so much at my local about getting my inspiration from seeing Squeezy play that I instituted a self-ban on playing anything I'd learned from their playing there - Three around three is the closest I get! It's done wonders for expanding my tune repertoire...
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 14 2009 06:12PM GMT-1 by firebird »

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 26 2009 12:06PM GMT-1 »
Noticed on Sunday night one of Seth Lakeman's new songs has him picking the violin. Copy cat!

Sure it's not related and songs not really comparable. Worked well though. Think it was just him Ben (double bass) and Benji.

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 27 2009 04:49PM GMT-1 »
Noticed on Sunday night one of Seth Lakeman's new songs has him picking the violin. Copy cat!

Sure it's not related and songs not really comparable. Worked well though. Think it was just him Ben (double bass) and Benji.

Peter Knight does that too!
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline DawnChorus

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, May 31 2009 12:31AM GMT-1 »
Slight cross over on Seths site about the fiddle playing.
http://forum.sethlakeman.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3276&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0