Author Topic: A Folk Song a Day  (Read 49001 times)

Offline Milady

• Has a Concertina, Melodeon and Fiddle
    • ladydetemps youtube
Re: A Folk Song a Day
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 12:22PM GMT-1 »
Will the tracks 'expire' after a year?
"Lovely band...they play music and everything..."
My Blog http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Anna

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 12:56PM GMT-1 »
I wouldn't have thought so, but I'm going to back them up anyway.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 04:50PM GMT-1 »
I've subscribed to via the RSS feed as well - I have "The Larks they Sang Melodious " (which I know as "Pleasant and Delightful") on that one, but nothing new on iTunes.  It's all quite exciting - I don't know what's going to arrive where, or when!  I missed Jon's interview with Mike Harding due to tennis, so thank goodness for iPlayer (sorry Jon!)
ooooh, ooh....I-tunes just downloaded a tune. Its rather exciting isn't it?

did you sing along Shelley? ;)

But of course!
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Ollie

• I Morris, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 05:32PM GMT-1 »
I liked the last verse, I've never heard that version before. Wonderful song, and I know what Jon means by "This is one of those songs you’re not supposed to sing because everyone sings it. Only problem is nobody does because you’re not supposed to." I always get worried about doing it at Morris things because people have heard it all before, but the last time I sang it, someone made up some very amusing (read dirty) actions which I see in my mind's eye everytime I hear it!
"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."

Offline mab

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 06:30PM GMT-1 »
I liked the last verse, I've never heard that version before. Wonderful song, and I know what Jon means by "This is one of those songs you’re not supposed to sing because everyone sings it. Only problem is nobody does because you’re not supposed to." I always get worried about doing it at Morris things because people have heard it all before, but the last time I sang it, someone made up some very amusing (read dirty) actions which I see in my mind's eye everytime I hear it!

Pleasant and Delightful is very popular with the rapper sides I hang out with and we all do it with all the 'amusing' actions. I didn't realise how ingrained this had become until someone sang it seriously at Falkirk Folk Club and I found myself having to sit on my hands to stop myself doing anything inappropriate. A quick look round revealed some of my rapper side were having to do the exact same thing :-[

Lovely song though and a good start to a years worth of songs :)
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 24 2010 06:33PM GMT-1 by mab »
The Campaign for Wheelchair Access (One of the Daleks' subltler invasion plans...)

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 07:06PM GMT-1 »
The Kingsmen do different words don't they? "and the sharks they played melodeons at the bottom of the sea."

Please can someone help me - I'm a complete iPod dummy.

iTunes downloaded the first song (and the introduction), and it's on my laptop in a section on iTunes called 'Podcasts'. If you click on it, it shows the 2 tracks and I can play them on my computer. But I can't seem to get them to show up on my iPod, with normal tracks I just drag them over. Has anyone successfully done this, if so what do I have to do? Thanks  :-*

Offline Clare

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 07:30PM GMT-1 »
Glad you asked that question Annie - I have the same problem! Also tried the RSS feed but can't make any sense of that. earlier in the week I had more on the itunes podcast list than I have now....

baffled - I know I must be a bear of little brain  ???

Offline Clare

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 07:41PM GMT-1 »
Update: the ones that were there earlier are on my computer somehow, in an i-tunes folder in my music

Somehow lots of random clicking has enabled me to start downloading todays and maybe tomorrows - but don't know how I did it! Sorry - and some are listed as music and some are listed as podcasts...

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #23 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 07:59PM GMT-1 »
that sounds like me - random clicking  :D

Offline mab

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 08:01PM GMT-1 »
The Kingsmen do different words don't they? "and the sharks they played melodeons at the bottom of the sea."

Only in the one chorus (and that's probably because the actions are more amusing). The rest is sung straight.

As far as the ipod thing is concerned, I don't get them in the music section. I have to go to the podcast bit from the main menu. I'm now wondering if I could put them into a playlist. Will have a play around tonight. If anyone hears any loud explosions from up north, you'll know what it was... :o
The Campaign for Wheelchair Access (One of the Daleks' subltler invasion plans...)

Offline louisec

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 08:13PM GMT-1 »
I think you can do this it just keeps asking if you are really sure you want to mix formats. If you get really desperate you might be able to put it on a cd and then load it in as music rather than a podcast

Offline Anna

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 08:43PM GMT-1 »
I burn CDs from itunes, then rip them to Media Player (where you can check the format before you put the CD in) and then transfer them to my mp3 player. I don't know about proper ipods though. I'm not sure that you can add things to a CD as you go though, so I use a rewriteable one and blank it when I've finished so I can reuse it. It's a bit of a kerfuffle though.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline AnnieD

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 09:12PM GMT-1 »
I think I've done it. As mab said, they are not in 'music' they are in 'podcasts'. Trying to drag the individual songs across didn't work. So I dragged the podcast to my iPod and now it appears on there  under 'podcasts' with the 2 tracks. Will see what happenns when I try to add another one.
Why do people say Apple is easy?  ???

Meadowbabe

« Reply #28 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 11:38PM GMT-1 »
think I've finally got the hang of this podcast thing.

Jon Boden every day for a year - here's to a good year (and something that's free, given the current situation in this country)

Love JBs version of The Lark

Meadowbabe

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, June 24 2010 11:53PM GMT-1 »
and so very generous of Jon - thank you!