Author Topic: Bellowhead Timeline  (Read 6379 times)

Offline royaledeluxe

Bellowhead Timeline
« on: Wednesday, October 27 2010 01:31PM GMT-1 »
A bit of an odd question, but here goes:

My son is doing his Arts Enthusiast Activity Badge in Scouts. He has chosen as his "particular artist" a certain 11 piece popular folk combo. As part of the badge he needs to "list major events....connected with chosen artist....and discuss theur significance".

He has started to prepare a timeline (and a good first stab) but I wondered if there was a more official one, or if anyone else had done one.

Thanks in anticipation.....

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
Re: Bellowhead Timeline
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 27 2010 01:56PM GMT-1 »
Well, the BH website has a potted history, and brightyoungfolk has a certain amount of info as well: http://www.brightyoungfolk.com/gigs/bellowhead/biography.aspx. The information is all around in various places (don't I know it - it's quite hard to track down info for biographies of bands sometimes!). Good luck to him with it!
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump

Offline royaledeluxe

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 27 2010 02:25PM GMT-1 »
I don't know if this will work, but this is where he is so far.....

John Spiers and Jon Boden won the “Horizon” Award in the Radio 2 Folk Awards.

John Spiers and Jon Boden were voted “Best Duo” in the Radio 2 Folk Awards. They then formed Bellowhead.

Bellowhead played their first gig at the Oxford Folk Festival.

They released their first CD “E.P.Onymous”.

They were voted “Best Live Act” in the Radio 2 Folk Awards.

They released their second CD “Burlesque”.

They appeared on “Later with Jools Holland”.

John Spiers and Jon Boden were voted “Best Duo” in the Radio 2 Folk Awards.

They appeared at the concert to re-open the Royal Festival Hall and appeared at festivals such as Glastonbury, Womad and The Big Chill.

They were voted “Best Group” and “Best Live Act” in the Radio 2 Folk Awards.

They released their third CD “Matachin”.

They headlined a Proms concert at the Royal Albert Hall http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6UKC8Ibx_o and played “Proms in the Park”.

They were “band in residence” at London’s South Bank Centre. On New Years Eve they hosted one of the largest parties in London complete with a firework display over the River Thames.

They released a DVD called “Live at the Shepherds Bush Empire”.

The various members released a CD called “Umbrellowhead” of their solo projects.

They toured Canada for three weeks.

They wrote music for the Rime of the Ancient Mariner performed by the Young Vic Theatre Company.

They were asked by the BBC to host the BBC 4 Sessions Christmas party which was shown on BBC4 several times leading up to Christmas.

They were asked to be one of the artists performing the Simpsons theme music for the 20th anniversary episode.

They released their fourth CD “Hedonism”.

Jon Boden was voted “Folk Singer of the Year” in the Radio 2 Folk Awards.

A brewery created their own Bellowhead beer called Hedonism that is sold at their concerts.

They played many festivals including headlining the Friday night at Cropredy.

Their audience broke the floor (for the third time) at the Festival Dance House of the Towersey Festival. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebVmBIRLYSg.

Offline Betty slippers

• Dance, dance, dance, weird, weird, weird, dance
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 28 2010 11:45PM GMT-1 »
I'll tell you one thing Royale, that list doesn't half make me smile, and I love ticking off the bits I was involved in (which includes the Towersey floor twice!  :o)
If it hadn'a been for Flash Company...

Offline maureen

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 28 2010 11:57PM GMT-1 »
Royale - you are missing the "Dirty Weekend with Bellowhead" on Valentine's Day 2009 (unless this is censored as it's for a Scouts badge!)
"nobody died wishing they'd done more housework"

Offline Music Festival Photos

• Pull off your old coat and roll up your sleeves.
    • Music Festival Photos
« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 29 2010 06:38AM GMT-1 »
Royale - you are missing the "Dirty Weekend with Bellowhead" on Valentine's Day 2009 (unless this is censored as it's for a Scouts badge!)

Don't mention the photos Maureen  ;D

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 29 2010 08:58AM GMT-1 »
Of course, what could be mentioned is that there was a "child-friendly" story-telling event in the afternoon with music from Bellowhead!
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 29 2010 10:37AM GMT-1 »
If your child could get in and actually see what was going on.

Offline royaledeluxe

« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 29 2010 11:10AM GMT-1 »
I suspect the leaders would like to review any pictures in the comfort of the pub.....

Offline Shelley

• Crumple my muslin and uncurl my hair
    • The Bailey Sisters - early and traditional music in close harmony
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 29 2010 11:19AM GMT-1 »
If your child could get in and actually see what was going on.

Well yes......
14th Jan - All Saints, Harrow Weald, 3rd Feb - Brewery Tap, Doncaster, 5th Feb - St Ninians, Chorlton, 25th March - Northwich Folk Club, 10th June - Knitted Character Folk Festival

Offline Douglas

• ^ Lime Hawk-moth
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 29 2010 02:30PM GMT-1 »
Bellowhead on Jools Holland next week is pretty important.
Click here to make a clicking sound - doesn't work on touchscreen devices for some reason.

Offline Ancient Muse

« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 29 2010 08:32PM GMT-1 »
Yes - I don't think their first time on that programme was in your list, either, Royale!

Brilliant list by the way - makes me smile to remember things too!

Offline Griselda

« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 29 2010 10:42PM GMT-1 »
And there were two Canada tours. Are you going to include the gigs in Turin, Portugal, Denmark, Germany etc.?

Offline Squeezy

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • melodeon & concertina
    • Spiers & Boden main site
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 30 2010 12:03AM GMT-1 »
Hi royaldeluxe,

Please let me wish your son every success with his badge - everything here you've heard from everyone else is correct and useful.  You can also check out the full history of gigs Bellowhead has done at http://www.spiersandboden.com/bhgighistory.html.  The only other thing I can think of that is of note is that we received a Copper award (like a gold disc but for bands from minority music backgrounds for sales of 20,000 albums - with hopefully a pun on the Copper family too) for Burlesque.  Another fact which is little known (not sure how useful that is for him) is that most of the first arrangements for Bellowhead were written by Jon Boden in the back of a car touring around Australia while we were on tour with Eliza Carthy in March 2004.

If you need earlier stuff on the starting of the band, we were doing a spot on our local community TV, Channel 6 when we spoke to Tim Healy who was planning the first Oxford Festival and suggested starting a band up to do that (some time in summer 2003 - I haven't got the date).  The now much-repeated story about the duo being stuck on the M25 when we rang people up to see if they'd be in our band happened on November 17th 2003 on our way to Colchester Folk Club.

Hope that is of some help.

Cheers

Squeezy

Offline royaledeluxe

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 30 2010 09:10AM GMT-1 »
Thanks to everyone (especially Squeezy John!) from me, and more especially Daf. He plans to do more work later on weekend then post an updated version for further comment. G