Author Topic: Solo gigs  (Read 17827 times)

Offline Fi

• Melodeon, spinning wheel and knitting needles
Re: Solo gigs
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, May 31 2011 06:32PM GMT-1 »
Thanks Ollie, will do  :aemo_squeeze:

And get me a CD would you, while you're there?  ;) Have fun!
We can't go over it, we can't go under it....

Offline Anna

« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, June 1 2011 10:18AM GMT-1 »
I'm sorry, Fi, I've only just seen your request for a CD :(. I bought one for myself, so I'll be listening to that today, when Ethan gets fed up of me playing!!

It was a really good night - but that probably doesn't come as a surprise to anyone! We had two sets; the first in alphabetical order, the second in order of age, with a tune from each player in each set. It was absolutely packed, and the shape of the pub meant it was difficult to see anything, but I managed to get close enough for the second set to get a good view. Simon Care did a tune on the concertina while doing a clay pipe dance, which I always enjoy, but I think that no more than a dozen or so people will have been able to see it! There was a session afterwards, which we didn't stay for (one day I might be able to play in front of the people who made me want to learn the melodeon, but not for a long time yet!) Anyway, it was a thoroughly enjoyable and very inspiring evening, and it looks like it's going to turn out to be a lovely folk club.

Thank you, Squeezy, for telling us about it, and for playing somewhere that's close enough to go to with not much notice!
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Offline Carolyn

« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, June 1 2011 10:39AM GMT-1 »
Seconded.  It was very good, but because it was in a pub it was difficult to hear the players chatting between tunes because of the pub-goers who were there for other than the music, eg the four people sitting at the table Jackie and I were sitting at who were shrieking merrily about how mahvellous it is to have a boat, dahling, and how relaxing to spend and evening listening to music in a pub.  One of them shouted that he'd heard that John Spiers was supposed to be playing - he's in Bellowhead, you know - and that apparently he's meant to be very good.  And that was while Squeezy was playing!   ::)

Anyway, Jim Causley's on next - 28th June, so maybe see you there again, Trunkles (hope you got home safely - we only go a bit lost going home!), and we'll make sure we get there earlier so we can possibly see!

Offline Oxford Trunkles

• Master of Epic Folly
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, June 1 2011 10:51AM GMT-1 »
Agreed. It was a cracking evening and well worth the trip. The venue was just perfect for a spring/summers gig and with the weather so good I think it would have been nice to move the whole thing outside, particularly given how many people turned up. After all the morris side had already scared away all the cows before it started! :o

But there was some brilliant playing by all and it would be great to see that collective again (somewhere that you didn't have to struggle to hear them over the noise at the bar.) I couldn't believe that women with the annoying laugh when she just went on and on and on regardless of everyone round her trying to listen.

Anyway, Jim Causley's on next - 28th June, so maybe see you there again, Trunkles (hope you got home safely - we only go a bit lost going home!), and we'll make sure we get there earlier so we can possibly see!

Thank you we did! (thanks largely to the sat nav). I can see Jim Causley going down well there but sadly I'm away in Scotland that week so not much chance of attending.

Offline firebird

• BrightYoungFolk
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, June 1 2011 09:17PM GMT-1 »
There's a couple of clips over on melnet - looks (and sounds) like it was a great night. Hope it all continues well in the future. Shame it's such a long drive...

(one day I might be able to play in front of the people who made me want to learn the melodeon, but not for a long time yet!)

I still haven't reached that stage...not sure I ever will! Actually, I remember buying a Waterson:Carthy CD from Saul (Rose) after a gig a year or so back, and was completely taken aback when he remembered that I played melodeon, and asked how it was going. Think he probably just got a squeak in return!  ::)
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 1 2011 09:21PM GMT-1 by firebird »
Morris teams: HuMP and Taeppa's Tump